Sinai FlexMed chances? I have 6 Ws from a medical withdrawal.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sequoiasfm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I’m applying to FlexMed, Mount Sinai’s early assurance program for college sophomores. A bit of a unique situation due to a medical withdrawal. What are my chances?

• Year in school - Sophomore
  • Residence - California
  • Applying to - Mount Sinai via FlexMed early assurance
  • Cumulative GPA - 3.70
  • Science GPA - 3.69
  • High school GPA - I'm only including this bc it's relevant to FlexMed. It was a 4.35.
  • SAT - 1980 overall
  • MCAT Scores - N/A
  • Research - 50 hours so far at one of the top biomedical research institutes in the world. Not university affiliated. PI is a very well known neuroscientist, one of the most cited individuals. My projects focus on schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
  • Volunteering (clinical) - 50 hours at the hospital
  • Physician shadowing - 10 hours neuropsychiatry
  • Non-clinical volunteering - 50 hours at a local park
  • Extracurricular activities - photography, videography
  • Employment history - 3 years in restaurants and fast food, 0.25 years in sales, 0.25 years teaching, 0.5 years tutoring high schoolers, 0.5 years Engineering internship, 0.25 years social media marketing, 2 years photography and videography, 0.5 years in a neurology clinic where I work with physicians, patients, and other techs
  • Immediate family members in medicine - No
  • Specialty of interest - EM, psychiatry, neurology, IM, but honestly who knows
  • Interest in rural health - No
So my application from a conventional standpoint is fairly undeveloped. However, the point of FlexMed is to allow students who are still fairly new to college and the premed track to explore their other interests and apply themselves outside of seeking admission to medical school. I am a photographer and videographer, and a few years ago I started a business providing creative services in which my partner and I have grossed about $20,000 in sales. I now do videography professionally as part of my position at a private neurology clinic, where I work daily with our physicians and PhDs to script, create, and distribute medical education videos about brain injury and neurodegenerative diseases and I am training to administer transcranial magnetic stimulation for major depression - about 225 total hours in the clinic but not all direct patient contact. I also had to take a medical withdrawal so I have 6 Ws. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: