Sincere request to all PC/PD

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by Athenamd, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Athenamd

Medical Student
    Recently we got an email from ERAS asking us to cancel all interviews which we dont plan to attend. In the similar spirit of professionalism its my sincere request to all the program coordinators/directors to send some form of response to all applicants..(rejection/invite) ASAP.

Its a really testing time for all of us but the assurance that we will hear from all the programs (either ways) makes life a lot easier for candidates...

probably ERAS should make it compulsory..till then its a sincere request...

thanks and happy new year to all

2. bluealiendoctor

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Although I agree with programs being held responsible to professionalism just as applicants are, I don't really agree with your request. Being invited for an interview then not showing up is significantly more 'rude' than not being given a response to an application. I mean, when you buy a lottery ticket the commission doesn't send out notices to those who didn't win. Nor does McDonald's call you and tell you you didn't get the job. Let's face it, 99% of the time no response=no interview. If it's that important to you, just email the programs that didn't respond and get a heads up. What have you got to lose? Somebody mentioned something about programs being more concrete as to whether an applicant has chance to even be considered. It's a shame that we have to pay to apply to a program only to have them dunk our application and never even look at it. I feel that if a program doesn't even review an application..then a refund is due. But I don't how that could ever be monitored.

3. Abram Hoffer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have an application that was never even downloaded by the program. I've emailed to find out, but no response. I've also called, but no one has answered. Did not leave a msg because I really don't want to be a "pest". I've heard that these documents are automatically downloaded, but I am not sure, based upon this, that I agree. One other thing, I sent my photo for one particular program a month after applying. I wanted to see if they would download it; thought they could only download it if they were inviting for an interview. Thought this might give me some insight into possiblity of an interview. Lately, they sent an email (generic) saying they haven't finished offering interviews, are still processing apps. Then my photo was downloaded after sitting there "available, but not yet retrieved" for a while. Should I think that an interview may be pending?

4. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I contact the ERAS postoffice, I get all pending documents. This includes new documents for applicants whom I have rejected. If a program did not download your documents, they did not download any documents from the date you applied onwards. This is strange, suggests that they simply didn't use ERAS at all (which doesn't make no sense).

Downloading your picture simply means that they contacted the post office. If the program defines a complete application as one with a pic, it will bring yours up for review.

5. Abram Hoffer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks. Not sure how you do this. reading through all these posts. Mucho gracias!:love::love:

6. fakin' the funk

fakin' the funk ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Seconded. All parties should act professionally, and to me this includes programs notifying all applicants in a timely manner of decisions, or lack thereof, made on their applications. Just as applicants should notify all programs in a timely manner of decisions to accept/attend interviews or withdraw applications.

7. Don't forget that even applicants applying to the most competitive fields will typically have less than a hundred programs to reply to. Competitive programs would have thousands of applicants every year.

I know it's not fair, but like others have stated, it's like when you're one of hundreds of applicants for a particular job opening...if you don't hear from them after your application, you didn't get the spot.

8. MedObsession

MedObsession PGY-1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I personally think that if you are going to take the time to email and call, then you should just leave a voicemail.

I hadn't heard from a particular program in my home city despite hearing from every other program that I applied to. I initially emailed them in November and did not get a response. I called in December and left a detailed message about my concerns. They called the next day to offer me an interview and I just interviewed there yesterday.

When I interviewed with the PD, she sincerely apologized for overlooking my application (based on my birth city she didn't realize that I grew up in that particular city; from her screening she thought I may not be interested to move there). She proceeded to tell me that I actually got "bonus points" (for whatever it's worth) for taking the initiative to call. She also felt it reflected my level of interest as well.

So if you are truly interested, don't be afraid of seeming like a pest!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. fakin' the funk

fakin' the funk ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good point. I feel less aggrieved now. Although ERAS could streamline mass-emailing with the whole distribution-list thing.

10. UpperEastSideOB

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think this actually happened to me. A program I was interested in didn't contact me and I though that I had the stats etc to get an interview. Finally, I realized my picture was not sent to the schools. It was uploaded after I sent my app in but I forgot to go back and submit it to programs. I got an interview at that program the next day. So, I think it was because my app wasn't complete without a photo.

11. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sending mass emails with ERAS is very easy and painless.

12. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Regardless of the numbers desparity, mass emails are easy. Programs should know how much expense and trouble we go to in order to apply to their programs. We have been told over and over how important etiquette is in this process, and the same should apply to programs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...