apc

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
So I'll be signing up for a Kaplan course, but I'll use EK (Verbal and Chem) as well as BR (Ochem,Gchem,Physics) books as my primary source.
But before starting my course, I wanted to know how I should manage my time. Should go to the classes on a regular basis? Or should I just go when I need some help? Since I have about 3 months to prepare, I really don't want to waste my time with these classes, especially if EK/BR's books are way different than Kaplan's.

Doodl3s

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
NorthEast
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
you're on the right path!
thats exactly what i did. I took the kaplan course, but REALLY actually used EK for most of the stuff. Do all the kaplan stuff on schedule, when they ask, and take the class seriously! It'll become a schedule keeper for you. When you finish BS in kaplan, Finish it using the BR and EK books. take their online quizzes and exams. Kaplan has, imo, some of the best test prep questions for the sciences, in their quizzes and exams. For verbal, just look at their techniques and take only what helps you, as their exams sucks and so does their strategy, although there are some tips and tricks to add to your set of verbal skills. Go to the class, make your own schedule with the other books on the side.

apc

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Kool.
So you suggest I go to all classes (BS PS VR)?
And is what they go over in class, all covered by EK and BR books?
Also, for physics, is Nova superior to BR?
If you didn't use nova, were you/are you satisfied with BR's physics books?
thanks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
you're on the right path!
thats exactly what i did. I took the kaplan course, but REALLY actually used EK for most of the stuff. Do all the kaplan stuff on schedule, when they ask, and take the class seriously! It'll become a schedule keeper for you. When you finish BS in kaplan, Finish it using the BR and EK books. take their online quizzes and exams. Kaplan has, imo, some of the best test prep questions for the sciences, in their quizzes and exams. For verbal, just look at their techniques and take only what helps you, as their exams sucks and so does their strategy, although there are some tips and tricks to add to your set of verbal skills. Go to the class, make your own schedule with the other books on the side.
Dude, this is EXACTLY what I am doing right now. I mainly signed up for the online supplements, the FLs, as a time keeper, and the other associated stuff. I am going to do all the homework and go to every class, but I will read kaplan first, THEN do the schedule as made by SN2.

Im using:
Ochem: TPR, EK1001
Bio: TPR, EK1001
GChem: TBR, EK1001
Phys: TBR, EK1001
Verb: EK101

Of course, I am not going to use Kaplans verbal. Don't, it is absolute crap. Use EK101 or something else.

Doodl3s

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
NorthEast
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Why waste money on teh class then.....? :confused:

If you are using all the other preps....

I would have done TPR.
well, while TPR is known to have better classes. I think i can say confidently that Kaplan has the better test prep materials, as in questions and stuff. They have mini-quizzes on each subsection of each subsection lol. So like 5-6 questions on orgo naming, then the lymph system... then you can take just the "bio part of the BS section" quizzes, then of course, whole timed sections. and of course kaplans FL's are 2nd to the AAMC's in accuracy to the real thing... (well, notice i never mentioned verbal once lol, their prep for it sucks, their questions for it suck lol, but luckily thats just a practice makes perfect thing, tips and tricks will only help you get to 8-9, above that, its all you)

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
You should have signed up for the online version of the class then, save some money

apc

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Why waste money on teh class then.....? :confused:

If you are using all the other preps....

I would have done TPR.
I am able to get Kaplan for 50% off.
The main and only reason why I'm signing up.

apc

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude, this is EXACTLY what I am doing right now. I mainly signed up for the online supplements, the FLs, as a time keeper, and the other associated stuff. I am going to do all the homework and go to every class, but I will read kaplan first, THEN do the schedule as made by SN2.

Im using:
Ochem: TPR, EK1001
Bio: TPR, EK1001
GChem: TBR, EK1001
Phys: TBR, EK1001
Verb: EK101

Of course, I am not going to use Kaplans verbal. Don't, it is absolute crap. Use EK101 or something else.

But I don't think I'll be able to go to class, do their homework and then start doing my own thing (SN2ed's schedule). This will take more than the 3 months I have...

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I still don't get why you don't want to sign up for just the online version of Kaplan class and save money? Going to the classes isn't going to impact your review in a significant way, especially if you have the self motivation to be using berkeley review and those other materials you listed.

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]
But I don't think I'll be able to go to class, do their homework and then start doing my own thing (SN2ed's schedule). This will take more than the 3 months I have...
dude...you have too many resources for your amount of study time. Only use the best of what you have. I would go to class if I were in your place, because (supposing your teacher is fun, energetic, and has shortcuts for problem solving) the classroom will make you learn in a different way that the books cannot. Kind of like how some people like listening to Audio Osmosis; it's a change from the daily reading from a book/computer....Use all of your senses(not sure about smell, though).

Don't worry about not following SN2ed's schedule exactly, because he made it in a way where you shouldn't do anything else (except for maybe adding more practice tests at the end)

Use his schedule as a guide, and create your own schedule incorporating the best resources you've got. ..... This takes a lot of time and effort, but it will pay off better than either trying to cram everything you've got together or falling behind in his schedule and trying to catch up in the end.

Doodl3s

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
NorthEast
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I studied june july and august, well, less actually cause i procrastinate. I was able to get through all of kaplans work (you only have them 3 days a week for like 3 hours a day) so if you do kaplans readings and work on the same day, you can do readings from your secondary books on the off days (that was EK for me). I didnt however use EK1001, so you definitely have enough prep, but EVEN MORE than enough prep questions!. But, i suppose you can't ever have too much of that... lol
My advice in that situation is make sure you absorb all you can from the books readings. Basically, if you KNOW how to do this stuff, you don't need to practice the questions as much, only to get the format. THis is why your told not to take practice tests until you finish studying. You're wasting time anyway if you answer questions you don't know how to do. The most important things here are the Kaplan FL science sections, EK 101 verbal sections, and the AAMCs.
I still don't get why you don't want to sign up for just the online version of Kaplan class and save money? Going to the classes isn't going to impact your review in a significant way, especially if you have the self motivation to be using berkeley review and those other materials you listed.
you're more or less right, as i said though, considering I make a case for them as a good time keeper to keep you on schedule, going to the class is what is really important (albeit a very expensive timekeeper :p), and for me, i procrastinate like a MOFO! lol. so, yea, i need them for the motivation basically.

apc

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Im planning on taking the MCAT late Aug. Early Sep.
Since I want to go over Kaplan and other resources (BK/EK), which one of these course dates do you guys recommend?

05/24/2010 - 07/30/2010 M, T, W, F
or

05/24/2010 - 08/16/2010 M, T, W

Last edited: