Single Mom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michelle23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Henderson,
Thank you for your prompt reply to my previous posting regarding the existence of a first cut. I wanted to ask you and any other readers who might have relevant experience if it is advisable to mention in either the personal essay or the interview the fact that I am a mother. The admissions counselor I spoke with at UT Galveston advised me against mentioning that I am a single mother as the admissions committee may be hesitant to admit someone with such a large responsibility . (I have one premed friend who who has planned her pregnancy so that she can give birth before the interviews!) As previously mentioned, my GPA is not outstanding, I just this last semester adopted a method of studying science classes that works for me, but was only able to achieve B+ (across the board.) I work 35-40 hrs a week and have primary responsibility for my 3 year old daughter (I'm 23). I simply do not have the study time to achieve straight A's, although I'm having to work less as my school hours, and consequently my financial aid, increases. Do you think an admissions committee would look on my situation positively (hard worker) or negatively (may continue you perform less than optimally)?
Incidentally, I am aware of the rigors of medical school and particulary of internship. I know that this is a very hard road to choose, and that my daughter will bear with me some of the hardships associated with this path . I was raised by a single mother, and I know that I would have wanted her to persue her goal, and I hope my daughter will feel the same someday. I just wanted you to know that this is an issue I have considered very seriously.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'd save the single mom thing for answers to the "what's the hardest thing you've had to overcome" or "what's your greatest accomplishment" questions that will occur in your interviews and maybe on your secondaries.

I just wouldn't bring it up as a reason for getting some B's unless it you deem it absolutely essential to do so... as a last resort.

I wish you the best!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net

Keep the single mother issue from the application and the essay unless you are being asked about it.
It is difficult to predict the reaction of the admission committee towards your situation. Don't try to review the issue voluntary.

[This message has been edited by dragonking (edited August 26, 1999).]