SIR Medical Student Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SIRStudents

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I want to plug the upcoming SIR annual meeting being held this year in San Francisco. This will be the second year in a row where there is a dedicated medical student program in addition to the annual resident-in-training program. This year’s medical student program will take place on Sunday, March 25th. The program is detailed below but highlights include a dedicated IO symposium and a hands-on session where med students will learn about and actually use common tools of the trade (for example, you’ll get to cryo a cow liver!). The program will also feature multiple prominent IR speakers including a panel of current residents and program directors that will focus on answering medical students’ questions about IR. There will also be a keynote speech given by Dr. Dake, a practicing IR at Stanford who pioneered thoracic aortic endografts.

Like last year, this year’s SIR Medical Student Curriculum is completely free. To attend for free, please register at http://www.tfaforms.com/233198.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions and I look forward to seeing you all at SIR.

Sincerely,
Alok Bhatt, MD
Resident-and-Fellow Section
Society of Interventional Radiology

Sunday, March 25, 2012

9:00 - 9:30 am
Welcome: Introduction to IR
Geogy Vatakencherry, MD
Moscone Center North
Product Theater: Technical Exhibit Hall

9:30 - 10:30 am
Medical Student Brunch
Moscone Center South
Room 300

10:30 - 12:00 pm
IO Symposium: Introduction to Interventional Oncology
Steve Huffman, MD, Aaron Eifler, Robert J. Lewandowski, MD, Ramona Gupta, MD, Riad Salem, MD, MBA, FSIR, Kent T. Sato, MD
Moscone Center North

12:00 - 12:45 pm
IR: Past, Present, and Future
Michael Dake, MD
Moscone Center North
Room: 120/123

12:45 - 1:30 pm
Lunch
Technical Exhibit Hall

1:45 - 2:15 pm
Exhibit Hall Tour
TBD
Technical Exhibit Hall

2:15 - 3:15 pm
Radiology Resident/Fellow Panel: Pathways to IR
Ken Lam, MD, Venkatesh "Kavi" P. Krishnasamy, MD, Ryan Hickey, MD, TBD
Moscone Center North

3:15 - 4:00 pm
Women in IR
Shellie Josephs, MD, Meridith Englander, MD, Sabina Amin, MD, Mona Gupta, MD
Moscone Center North
Room: 120/123

4:00 - 5:00 pm
Simulators
Steve Huffman, MD, TBD
Room: TBD

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a webinar or PowerPoint summary of this?

Can someone post links that introduce or summarize ir or something to that extent. I can't really find anything good on it.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone planning on attending? I'm trying to make travel arrangements right now, and if a few items fall into place I'll be there.

SIRStudents: How many students are you expecting?

Hey all,

Sorry for the delayed response.

For those of you budding IRs out there, like me, the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society of Interventional Radiology has an incredible IR-in-Training Program for medical students and residents/fellows. Check out the link at:

http://www.sirmeeting.org/index.cfm?do=cnt.page&pg=1129

This is the second year for the medical student curriculum and year 7, I believe for the resident curriculum. There are some fellow directed topics as well. The meeting is the last full week of March, 24th-29th. Check out more details at sirweb.org.

Unfortunately, due to logistics, the medical student sessions will not be taped. The resident/fellow sessions will be and are available for purchase. There will be no webinars this year unfortunately again logistical in nature.

For those that are interested however, SIR has a rapidly developing Medical Student Council and Resident/Fellow Section. This group of phenomenal individuals has really taking the proverbial bull by the horns and is working to improve IR education and exposure nationwide for trainees as well as further implement Clinical Interventional Radiology as standard of practice. If you are interested, get involved. One great thing that the RFS has accomplished is a monthly clinically based webinar applicable to IR.

There will be numerous trainees in attendance at the meeting this year. Last year there were over 400 residents/fellows and over 100 medical students in attendance at the Annual Meeting. I believe even more are expected this year.

I am a senior radiology resident and if anyone wants more information or wants to meet up at the meeting, please do not hesitate to respond to this.

IRpadawan

It really can't be overstated how phenomenal of an educational and networking opportunity these sessions are. I would not be on the path I am today without this experience. Everyone please try to attend if possible.

Just a couple more days left to register. As far as the number of trainees are concerned, we expect a very high turnout this year. And remember, its free!

I am currently a Radiology-matched PGY-1 completing my preliminary year in medicine. Am I eligible to register as a medical student for this conference? Or am I considered a Resident-in-training?

Thanks

BeastHI,
You would be considered a Resident-in-Training. However, just as there is a phenomenal medical student curriculum, there is an equally amazing resident curriculum. Check out the website above. Membership in SIR is only $50 and that gives you free registration at the conference and a monthly print copy of JVIR.

I went to the SIR conference and thought it was an amazing experience. I was wondering how does one join the Medical Student Council?

We should be posting information on how to join the IR medical student council shortly.