Sit out next cycle or charge ahead for round 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted548851

3.50cgpa/3.63sgpa "brand name Ugrad" (2 years out of school now)
520 MCAT (took March 2017, waiting a cycle could put it in danger of expiring?)
ORM (asian M, NY)
complete mid/late august- committee letter

EC's:
950 hrs as volunteer EMT ongoing, may need a break for recertification this coming winter, 150 hospital volunteer years ago, shadowing 50hrs before freshman year of college.

Tons of research (basic science, not clinical) more hours than can count- 4-5000 range, with 1 pub as mid author (sent as update to schools- since it was update and not on AMCAS, this could count as significant improvement?)

SAT tutoring currently to undeserved and immigrant communities (new activity, another answer to the what makes this app different than last year) and had tutoring at college. Plus a leadership position of a club sport team.

Going to try and get 1 new Rec letter to replace one, and possibly another brand new one.

I know I have one glaring red-flag and its my 2 IA's (alcohol 6.5, 5 years ago) but I have received interviews and the feedback from my adviser says given the time cushion since then, and its relatively mild on the scale of what IAs can be, we cant say that will be an app killer. Plus she hinted they tried to soften it in my committee letter as well. I've tried my best to explain it in the interviews/show my maturity but interviewers have also made it clear via hinting, nobody else gets caught- not good when presenting to the committee.

My main concern is being labeled as re-applicant and answering the what's different question. Nothing is really that different. Plus I'm not sure how differently I can re-write my essays, especially the secondaries, especially if the prompts dont change. AMCAS opens in a month, do I charge ahead or is it just asking for another rejection cycle?

Received 4 II's out of a list of 33 schools (good mix)(2 WL, 1R, 1 TBD)
WL:
Case Western
SUNY Upstate

R: Einstein (after II)

SUNY Downstate: TBD

Rest pre-II R:
Albany
Columbia
Drexel
Emory
Dartmouth
GW
Hofstra
Sinai
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stony
Temple
Chicago Loyola
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Mayo
NYMC- Valhalla
Quinnipiac
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
USUHSM
Rochester
V Tech
Wake Forrest
Cornell
Yale
Keck USC
Brown
Colorado
Maryland

Members don't see this ad.

There will be a lot of wait list movement after May 1st and you have 3 schools where you could receive an acceptance. You do not need to make the decision on reapplying until mid June. If you need to reapply you could add these schools:
Boston University
Vermont
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Miami
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
You could also try the new schools: Seton Hall, NOVA MD, California University, Kaiser.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't get off a waitlist I think you're good for next year. Just get complete ASAP after you hear about this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
There will be a lot of wait list movement after May 1st and you have 3 schools where you could receive an acceptance. You do not need to make the decision on reapplying until mid June. If you need to reapply you could add these schools:
Boston University
Vermont
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Miami
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
You could also try the new schools: Seton Hall, NOVA MD, California University, Kaiser.

Thanks, I actually already threw into Seton Hall and California since they opened super recently and took apps this cycle, but I'll keep the other new ones in mind.

As far as your MCAT, I believe some schools like it to be within 3 years of matriculation, so if you apply May '19, your matriculation will be Summer 2020.

I would reapply

I think your lack of ECs, combined with your IAs, are hurting you - turning IIs into pre-II Rs and acceptances into waitlists. Downstate accepts a lot of students late in the cycle, and I would be happy to have you in my class (2022). I recommend reapplying day 1, but get more volunteering! 150 hours at a hospital is good - years ago not so much. You have more than enough research. Consider joining Americorp - would show growth and maturity.

I think your lack of ECs, combined with your IAs, are hurting you - turning IIs into pre-II Rs and acceptances into waitlists. Downstate accepts a lot of students late in the cycle, and I would be happy to have you in my class (2022). I recommend reapplying day 1, but get more volunteering! 150 hours at a hospital is good - years ago not so much. You have more than enough research. Consider joining Americorp - would show growth and maturity.
Is my volunteering as an EMT not looked at as traditional volunteering? I've started doing tutoring volunteering. I'm currently employed full-time so Americorp isn't likely.

Maybe OP just interviewed poorly.

OP hopefully your undergrad offers mock interviews which would definitely help