Sitting for EPPP and licensure in NJ and NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member6677

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting internship tomorrow and plan on following it with a postdoc. I want to become licensed in NJ to start, and then perhaps NY as well.

I had heard that you can sit for (I think) the EPPP before completing your postdoc (or supervised hours), but that you cannot do licensure until after all hours are completed. I cannot remember if this is for NY or NJ or if it is not true at all. The internet has failed me, so I am asking around here.

I thought, if possible, I would sit for EPPP before or during postdoc to expedite this career-thing.

Thank you!

Ps. Does any one have insight to how much the renewal fee for licensure is in either/or both NJ/NY? I know it's every 2 years but the internet is pretty shady about how much this will run.

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting internship tomorrow and plan on following it with a postdoc. I want to become licensed in NJ to start, and then perhaps NY as well.

I had heard that you can sit for (I think) the EPPP before completing your postdoc (or supervised hours), but that you cannot do licensure until after all hours are completed. I cannot remember if this is for NY or NJ or if it is not true at all. The internet has failed me, so I am asking around here.

I thought, if possible, I would sit for EPPP before or during postdoc to expedite this career-thing.

Thank you!

Ps. Does any one have insight to how much the renewal fee for licensure is in either/or both NJ/NY? I know it's every 2 years but the internet is pretty shady about how much this will run.

I did the opposite... got licensed in NY and am trying to through the process in NJ now.

You can sit for the EPPP in NY any time after your internship hours are completed, even though you can't get your license after 1750 postdoc hours. Not sure about licensure renewal fees... haven't had to do that yet. But I got licensed in NY during postdoc, so that's definitely possible.

NJ is really annoying. They are very specific about hours (1000 face-to-face client hours, 200 supervision, etc.). But trainees are only allowed to have a certain number of patients at a time, so that if something happened to the trainee, the supervisor would be able to take over (the number corresponds to that ratio). My understanding (though I'm not positive about this) is that they don't permit someone to take the EPPP until all of their hours (internship AND postdoc) are completed... which can be problematic if one of your supervisors says you had "1.5 hours/week" of supervision instead of the required 2/week, so now you're short of their requirements. Licensure renewal fees are $300 every two years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are best off getting licensed in NY first since you can take the EPPP at any point after internship whereas NJ makes you wait till done your licensure hours. This way, if you have a hiatus in patients while pursuing hours, you can devote that time to studying for the EPPP. I made this mistake - and am paying for it now!

You are best off getting licensed in NY first since you can take the EPPP at any point after internship whereas NJ makes you wait till done your licensure hours. This way, if you have a hiatus in patients while pursuing hours, you can devote that time to studying for the EPPP. I made this mistake - and am paying for it now!

As someone who did this, I both agree and disagree with this advice. Agree because that's a really good point about the EPPP. Disagree because any time you divert slightly from the normal protocol for this process it's like the office staff short-circuit and have no idea what to do, at every step of the way. It's a trade-off I guess.

Trust me, the NJ board can mess up with no help from us! No matter what you do, allow extra time in all career planning for the inevitable mess ups by the NJ board. I still maintain it pays to pursue licensure in more than one jurisdiction at the same time.

Anybody know the pass rate (percentage) for the NJ vs. NY? I'd like to know what to compare by AATBS practice tests to. Thanks!!