Situation involving a friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeautifulSmiles523

Reaction score
A friend of mine had an appointment with a primary care physician following an episode of depression following a breakup. The hospital that she worked at as an MA set her up with an IM PCP that works at the hospital. The doctor gave her his personal cellphone number, and told her that she could text or call him anytime with issues. The physician then later suggested that she get an application called "Telegram" and thinking it was a hospital app, she downloaded it before realizing that it was just an upper class snapchat. He then began messaging her inappropriately, asking her things such as "what she would do if he ran her hand under her dress at an appointment", or "maybe she shouldn't wear panties next time". He also admitted to paying his MAs highly, and that they sent him nude pictures on this application as well. She took pictures of these messages and filed a complaint to the hospital. She then spoke to the VP of the hospital who requested phone records showing that the two had communicated and then said "she would be continuing the investigation, but the important take away is that she was going to write a memo that physicians should not give out their personal phone number".

She is concerned that he may take advantage of a person in a vulnerable place and it lead to an adverse event, Not only did he message her inappropriately, but also had her on multiple psychotropic medications, and would abruptly stop them, and change them when she complained of side effects rather than slowly step her off of them. Is there another course of action that she can take, and are hospitals quick to terminate relationships with toxic physicians?

Members don't see this ad.

If this is all true as presented here she needs to file a complaint with the board of medicine in the state this physician practices in. They will do an investigation and will take action against this person's medical license if the accusations are substantiated. If the hospital fires this person they will end up in another facility or in another state and will put more patients at risk.

She has evidence in the form of screenshots that I took on my phone of her phone so he wouldn't be notified "so and so took a screenshot". (I was with her when he was sending the messages). In addition to this she has the call records that prove that he had texted her (although it does not show what exactly was said).

These photos are the nature of what was said. There is more, but this gives you the idea. Censored the physician's name.

censored1.jpgcensored2.jpgcensored3.jpgcensored4.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, not extreme. This type of behavior escalates. That was sexual harassment, sooner or later someone will receive a sexual assault.

Notify the police.

Reactions: 1 user
I just didn't realize a physician making inappropriate sexual remarks was a crime. I knew it was unprofessional and violating physician ethics, but since he refrained from making comments after she confronted him about it, I wasn't sure that it was a "crime" and would be pursued outside of a licensing board.

The remarks began when the Celexa that he had placed her on was causing her sexual dysfunction. He was asking her detailed questions that I felt were inappropriate ("Is it your clitoris or the vagina that doesn't have sensation", "Is it during sex or masturbation" etc). I warned her that these questions seemed irrelevant when a simple "okay, loss of sensation" would do, but she disagreed. "Well he IS a doctor. I can trust him, and maybe there is some reason he needs to know."

I think looking back she feels some guilt as she was in a rough spot and seeking attention in the form of friendly conversation and instead of directly telling him to stop with the inappropriate conversations, she just changed the topic, and answered his medically questionable inappropriate "care related" questions. I was worried about her mental state following this, but I think she is pulling through okay.

She reported it to the hospital vice president who assured her "Doctors should not give out their private numbers. We will address this in an email." and also that there would be an internal investigation but that she would not be informed of any decision. Instead they suggested that she seek a counselor if it was affecting her.