Situation with the Health Service Executive (Ireland)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT Potato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a pre-med student studying in the US looking to come back home (to Ireland) to study and practice. I've heard some worrying things about the HSE (not enough internships, crazy long work hours, low on the job happiness, etc...), I would like to know the current situation and state of affairs. How is it concerning: hours, job satisfaction, pay, organization, and future outlook? Is it as grim as I hear? My other option is trying out OZ and trying to get stuck in there, would you recommend it over Ireland?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'm a pre-med student studying in the US looking to come back home (to Ireland) to study and practice. I've heard some worrying things about the HSE (not enough internships, crazy long work hours, low on the job happiness, etc...), I would like to know the current situation and state of affairs. How is it concerning: hours, job satisfaction, pay, organization, and future outlook? Is it as grim as I hear? My other option is trying out OZ and trying to get stuck in there, would you recommend it over Ireland?
Did you go thro the Irish secondary education system? Or US system.

Last edited: