redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Status
When did you guys interview? The adcom supposedly met yesterday.

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
I interviewed on 2/7, and if the ADCOM met yesterday, then I am on the block.

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
I already recieved the AWPA letter that you get after the initial ADCOM discusses your application. I'm still waiting for the official accept. Supposely, the decisions on who to send those to were made around Jan 25. So, has anyone recieved the official acceptance offer and packet yet?

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
I think the next round of "actual acceptances" is in mid-March.

How quickly does the ADCOM get back to you post-interview?

redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Status
My file was reviewed yesterday. When I called today, she said the letters from yesterday's meeting were going out soon, so just wait for the mail. Whatever that means.

So what's SIU's process? They deem you acceptable material- and then you wait for an actual acceptance?

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
PBMaxx said:
I think the next round of "actual acceptances" is in mid-March.

How quickly does the ADCOM get back to you post-interview?
Yeah, the next round of "actual acceptances" is the end of March...but did anyone here recieve one from the January batch?

You should hear back from the ADCOM within a week of their next meeting after your interview...so, if you just interviewed and they just had an ADCOM meeting, then expect something in the next week.

OP
S

snoopaloop22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
I interviewed back in Oct (AWPA)...I'm not sure if they sent out any acceptances in Jan. I think they have only made one small accept round. I haven't called in awhile about actual acceptances, don't know what the deal is.

Saluki04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2004
Status
Those who were officially accepted in the January meeting should have heard by now. I called the office and was told that "my status has not changed" (I am AWPA). I take that to mean that I was not accepted in Jan. I'll be waiting till early April, when they said the next round should be received.

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
Saluki04 said:
Those who were officially accepted in the January meeting should have heard by now. I called the office and was told that "my status has not changed" (I am AWPA). I take that to mean that I was not accepted in Jan. I'll be waiting till early April, when they said the next round should be received.
That's what I expected...But for some reason no one I know of has recieved the official yet from January. I know people that interviewed and recieved the AWPA in late November. Have you all sent in your updated GPA since last semester? I didn't and I'm thinking that may be why I haven't gotten anything yet. They might think I lost interest in them.

Anyway, I guess we'll all be checking our mailbox in early April for them.

OP
S

snoopaloop22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
I haven't heard of anyone getting an acceptance in Jan. either. Apr is sure going to be a long wait!!!

redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Status
I just got the accepted when place available letter today. Do they ever give straight-up acceptances? Have they rejected anybody post-interview yet?

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
As I understand it, you will always get the AWPA if you are going to be accepted. Not everyone gets an AWPA, as I understand it there are 4 categories (you won't know which one of the first two you are in). AWPA (priority admit), AWPA (delayed admit), waitlist, rejection. I could be wrong about that, though. Someone who went there told me this info. As you read in the AWPA letter (if you got one), your chances of recieving the actual acceptance are significantly high but not gauranteed.

OP
S

snoopaloop22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
I still find it rather strange that there were no sdn'ers accepted in Jan.?

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
When all else fails....claim conspiracy. :D

ie...maybe they just don't send them to SDN'ers

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
NEATOMD said:
As I understand it, you will always get the AWPA if you are going to be accepted. Not everyone gets an AWPA, as I understand it there are 4 categories (you won't know which one of the first two you are in). AWPA (priority admit), AWPA (delayed admit), waitlist, rejection. I could be wrong about that, though. Someone who went there told me this info. As you read in the AWPA letter (if you got one), your chances of recieving the actual acceptance are significantly high but not gauranteed.

Where does "ranked alternate" fit in to this scheme. I assume that it is a euphamism for "waitlist." The letter was dated 3/9, and I got it on the 12th.

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
PBMaxx said:
Where does "ranked alternate" fit in to this scheme. I assume that it is a euphamism for "waitlist." The letter was dated 3/9, and I got it on the 12th.
I'm not sure... But for anyone wondering, I looked at the information I got last time I called SIU and the only time in March that the ADCOM will consider who to send actual acceptances to is March 29. Expect to hear within a week of that if you are in that set of students.

PBMaxx...Did you ever recieve an AWPA letter? When did you interview?

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
NEATOMD said:
I'm not sure... But for anyone wondering, I looked went to the information I got last time I called SIU and the only time in March that the ADCOM will consider who to send actual acceptances to is March 29. Expect to hear within a week of that if you are in that set of students.

PBMaxx...Did you ever recieve an AWPA letter? When did you interview?
Nope. Straight up waitlist ("ranked alternate"). I interviewed on Feb 7th.

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
I'm thinking about revising what I think the ADCOM assigns students to: as I know of it, there are for sure 3 categories: AWPA, RA, and NA.

-AWPA (Accept When Place Available) is a set of students who are priority for being accepted. Those students are assigned a score and then assigned a rank within this category.
Update: You get assigned a number 1-3 in this category and from this you will be given an official acceptance...Once all the 1's have been accepted, then the 2's, and so on.

-RA (Ranked Alternate) is a set of students who did not qualify for the AWPA list but are still considered to meet school requirements. As the name indicates, they are also given a rank within the category.

-NA (Not Accepted) is the set of students who either did not complete admission requirements or were denied acceptance for any other reason. (i.e. out of state student.) Even then though, I was under the impression that they recieved the same AWPA letter that everyone else gets.

When I heard them speak of four categories, I now believe that fourth category belongs to Automatic Accept students such as SIU's MEDPREP program who recieve automatic acceptance if they meet a set of requirements for the program.

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
Well, today is the day...

Good luck to any of you still waiting for an official acceptance.

Saluki04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2004
Status
The March official acceptances are already mailed, so you can call and ask if your status has changed. If it has not changed, then you'll be waiting until May probably (assuming you are already AWPA).

OP
S

snoopaloop22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
Were they mailed out yesterday? Make sure you guys post if you get one!! Good luck

illiniTJ

Oskee Wow Wow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Just bumping this up to see if anyone received a letter from the last meeting on March 29. I'm anxiously awaiting! :thumbup: :thumbdown: :scared:

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2004
Status
Does anyone know how many acceptances they have given out so far? The class is 75. Do they only give out 75 acceptances until April?

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I'm busy today with exams, but I guess I'll be calling tomorrow. Something isn't adding up here. They must have taken a few days to mail those out.

By my math: they accept 150 to fill their entering class of 72 by interviewing 300-350. And, we know not everyone gets the AWPA, but saying they give them to half of the 300, that is 150...if they give it to 3/4 of the interviewed we still have 225. Candidates are ranked 1-3 on the AWPA, there's several of us here, by any logical reasoning and even shear chance, at least one of us ought to hear from this last meeting.

If I remember correctly, last time, it took them a little over a week to get the letters mailed out (it takes a while to print and package them all). I'm hoping that is what happened here.

OP
S

snoopaloop22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
I couldn't agree more!! It seems highly unlikely that not one of us picked up an acceptance. Sure wish I knew what was going on!

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
I spoke with the admissions office today on the phone. They said I probably won't be hearing anything till mid-May at the earliest. Joy, of all joys :thumbdown: +pissed+ +pity+

illiniTJ

Oskee Wow Wow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Any SDNers get accepted to SIU in the last few weeks???

blonderedhead

10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2005
Status
hey guys, I just withdrew today so good luck to all of you on the waitlist. I also know of one more who will withdraw. :)

nimer1456

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Chicago
Status
I got my acceptance yesterday. I will be turning down the acceptance soon so one more spot for you guys! :luck:

illiniTJ

Oskee Wow Wow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys,

I just received my acceptance to SIU today. It is actually my first acceptance (still waiting on Rush) and I am totally excited! I'll plan on attending until I receive good news from Rush, then I'll have quite the dilemna.

could be about a 100,000 difference between the two schools...

redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2004
Status
I just got my acceptance on 5/21 and will be withdrawing shortly, for those of you still waiting to hear.

PBMaxx

MS4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
redruby said:
I just got my acceptance on 5/21 and will be withdrawing shortly, for those of you still waiting to hear.

Were you AWPA? Or "Ranked Alternate?"

Just wanna know where they are in their cycle.

katiekate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
I just called Denise in the Student Affairs office at SIU to ask if there was any movement to the AWPA list. She said there has and will be more movement, but she's not sure how much or anything actually helpful. But I went out on a limb and asked if she could tell me how many ppl are on the AWPA list and she said 25...25!!!!!!!!!!!! She doesn't know the ranking of each applicant tho. But 25 applicants is not alot at all. Anyway, she said to call around the 15th of June, no later b/c she'll be out of office till that next Tuesday. I really hope SIU pulls through this summer.

katiekate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
Wow!! I just got my acceptance this past weekend and am pumped to actually have been accepted somewhere. Ironically, I have just been offered a permanent research position with an excellent biopharmeceutical company that I had been temping with since Feb of this year. I am going try for a deferment till fall 2006 and work on stabilizing my finances. Keep up the hope :)

katiekate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
Hey Snoop. Are you going to attend SIU this year? I am thinking about deferring for a year, but I am soo excited and want to start school in August. If you are starting this fall, do you know anything about housing & finaid this late in the process? I have been a temp-to-hire at a biotech company on the east coast and have been offered an awesome full-time position making a decent salary. So many issues to consider and I only have another week left to make my ddecision. Seems that deferments are granted with good enough reasons. I just keep thinking...holy s#$^, I'm going to be a doctor!!!!

MiniPri

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Status
katiekate said:
Hey Snoop. Are you going to attend SIU this year? I am thinking about deferring for a year, but I am soo excited and want to start school in August. If you are starting this fall, do you know anything about housing & finaid this late in the process? I have been a temp-to-hire at a biotech company on the east coast and have been offered an awesome full-time position making a decent salary. So many issues to consider and I only have another week left to make my ddecision. Seems that deferments are granted with good enough reasons. I just keep thinking...holy s#$^, I'm going to be a doctor!!!!

I'll be at SIU this fall, and I just went to Carbondale today to check out apts. I am also really psyched about starting. I just kinda drove around looking at places. Some look really shady, while others look nice. The area north of Mill St has tons of apts, but it is really crowded. I hope to stay somewhere on Grand Ave. I'm going back again next week. Let me know if you have any other Qs.

LoveDoc

Respect the Rhesus Monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
Status
Grand St .... :scared:

Try to stay away from campus. UNDERGRADS are loud!!!!

Lewis Park and G&R are too close to Pinch Penny...loud music.

Try westside Alpha Apartments or apartments around the Prep
school past Carbondale Middle School. Nice lofts and quiet.