Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

SIU secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Atlas, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Does SIU have a secondary application? I read somewhere that they don't. If they do, would anyone mind posting what the questions are? Not to worry, I'm not applying this year...I'm just curious because SIU is my #1 school going into the 2003 application year. I'd really appreciate any feedback you folks might have! Thanks and best wishes!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

nope, no secondary.

4. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sandflea,

Are you positive? I've been reading through the book they sent me and it says that "supplemental applications are sent only to selected applicants and require a $50 submittal fee". Why would they say this if there is no secondary?

5. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    I read that too. However, I received a letter from them saying that they'll make a decision on my application as soon as possible. Perhaps they mean a decision on whether to send me a secondary.

6. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    possibly!...I didn't know how to interpret their claims because I'm reading conflicting messages and getting myself confused. It makes sense that they send supplementals to "select" folks because they're looking for a certain type of student (i.e. resident from Central/Southern Illinois).

7. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

come to think of it, i'm not totally positive about that. i guess i was just basing my answer on my experience. i applied there the first time around and i got the same letter that rxfudd got....and i never heard from SIU again. so maybe the 'decision' that they're trying to make is whether or not to send you a secondary....which you won't get if you're from chicago. SIU seems pretty dedicated to admitting students with rural backgrounds. the only people i know who have received secondaries from SIU are from small-town illinois, regardless of how strong an applicant they were.

sorry for the confusion i may have caused. good luck!

8. lorarp

lorarp Member

Where in Southern Illinois are you guys from? I'm from Carbondale, but I'm going to school on the East Coast where everyone thinks Illinois ends at Chicago. It's funny to see SIU mentioned at all, since most people haven't heard of it.

9. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

i'm from chicago....which is why i didn't bother applying to SIU. :)

10. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I live in a small town near Belleville which is near St. Louis (about 20 miles or so away).

11. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    BTW: SIU is my #1 school because of my location! Hopefully, I'll be blessed enough to 1.) get a secondary and 2.) get an interview. Once granted an interview (for a S. Illinois resident) you've got like a 90% chance of acceptance!! :D God bless SIU!!

12. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    Damn - wish I had known this before I applied. Well, it's only 30 bucks...