SIU vs KCU vs MU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

she-doctorwannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
SIU
Pros
  • MD school- I want to work overseas in the future. Many countries give accreditation to MDs, unlike DOs.
  • Close to home/family.
  • Cheaper tuition- 35k.
  • State-of-the-art Surgical Skills Center (I was very impressed with this building during my interview).
Cons
  • Interviewed in Springfield campus- don't really know what their anatomy labs, classrooms etc. in Carbondale campus look like.
  • Problem based learning- I don't think this is a real con, but it is different than a traditional curriculum.
KCU-Kansas City Campus
Pros
  • One of original 5 DO schools- administration seemed to know what they were doing.
  • Really liked the atmosphere/ talking to current students.
Cons
  • Interviewed in Joplin campus- don't really know what their anatomy labs, classrooms etc. in Kansas City campus look like.
  • Very far away from home.
  • More expensive- 47k.
MU-COM
Pros
  • Really liked the atmosphere/ talking to current students.
  • Small campus- wouldn't need to drive much and spend that time studying instead.
  • Close to home/ family.
Cons
  • Newer school.
  • Most expensive- 50k.
  • Had an awkward experience with one of my interviewers.

I would like to be involved in research during medical school, but none of these schools put much emphasis on research. That's why I didn't factor research in. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually people say if you're accepted to an MD go there over a DO, especially if it's also your cheapest option. I don't know anything about these schools though so that's all I can say.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the previous posters. Definitely choose any MD over any DO school for your own future residency match, then job placement, opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user