SIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxy76

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone that goes to SIU's dental school in Alton. I'm an out of state applicant and I had a few questions. If anyone reads this and goes to this school or knows someone, please write back!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you that as an out-of-state applicant, you will have a HARD time getting into SIU school of Dentistry. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd apply somewhere else if I were you. SIU focuses on recruiting S. Illinois residents. Folks from Chicago have a hard time getting into SIU. So, out-of-state applicants as you can imagine have a relatively low rate of success at getting into SIU.

Best of luck.

So are you a student there? I realize they give preference to those from southern illinois, my parents are from cairo....and my dad still lives there. I live in KY, but am only 5 mins away. I also pay property taxes in Illinois. I've been up there and talked to someone and they said they would take that into consideration. Do you think they were just feeding me full of ****? I haven't heard anything from them yet.
How hard it is for the typical instate resident to get in? Do you think I'd be better off moving back in w/my dad and applying next year as instate? Thanks for the info and advice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Atlas could you please email me back when you have time? Thanks

Hi Roxy,

I don't go to SIU nor do I know anyone who goes to dental school----but I do know graduates from undergrad. and a host of their dental school rejected appl.

They recruit in-state applicants is a major understatement. However if you are paying Illinois property tax, you may want to investigate your ability to receive residency. If you are extremely competitive 3.65+ and DAT 20/20+ and with your ties to Illinois-----they'll definitely look at you. If not----take a year off, live with dad and apply as an in-state. Good luck.

Don't forget there are other schools----why just SIU?

R.R.B

Roxy,

Sorry. I've been busy. Just for the record..I'm not a dental student. I know alot about SIU because I've done my homework on the school and live about 25-30 miles from it. Obviously, if the time comes for me to apply to dental school, SIU will be on my list. As far as I know, Cairo is about as far South in Illinois as you can go! Or am I thinking of Metropolis? You wouldn't happen to live near Paducah by any chance? I have relatives there. Anyway, because you pay property taxes in Illinois, that helps...alot! I mean, it's a state-funded school, so if you give money to the state, you'll be in better shape. It's hard to tell how they'll rule on your condition because, after all, you live in Kentucky. SIU is a hard school to get into even for Illinois residents. I know (for medical school at least) that folks from Chicago have a hard time getting in. The school really strives to admit folks who live here and want to practice here someday. Moving in with your dad isn't a bad idea, as long as you're ok with it. But, then I ask you, do you think you'll be better off by moving around? Remember, Illinois only has 2 dental school now. Is it REALLY worth the move? I mean, you can apply to both Illinois schools as well as a ton of private schools. But, you could apply to the same private schools as a Kentucky resident. It's something to think about. If you have anymore questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them for you!

Good luck

Actually I'm living in Paducah right now. Yeah, Cairo is at the southern tip of IL. So what do you mean "if the time comes for you to apply to dental school"? What are you doing now? Are you in college? Where are you living in IL or MO? Maybe we could exchange email addresses.

Roxy,

You guessed it. I'm still in college, a Junior to be precise. So, I have yet to make an official decision about what I'm going to do. Initially, I was (and still am) going to apply to med school. But, after talking with my pre-dent cohorts, I'm liking dentistry now too. So, I say that if the time comes when I apply to dental school in a way meaning that If I decide to go for dentistry. Although, I will try medical school first and foremost, I do have an interest in dentistry. FYI: I was born and raised in S. Illinois. As a matter of fact, I still live here, about 15 minutes East of downtown St. Louis. It really is a small world. My aunt runs a bed and breakfast down in Paducah. I used to visit herwhen I was younger, but it's been years since I've been down that way. I have no problem exchangin email addy's. How did you want to do this? I'm not real big on posting it in the general forum. I'd recommend private message myself.

Look forward to keeping in touch

Atlas,
I'm still in college too. I'll be finished in May....finally!! So where do you go to school?
What's the name of your aunt's place?
I sent you a private message w/my email address. Let me know if you get it. Talk to you soon! :)

Roxy,

I emailed ya! Look forward to hearing from you.

i applied to SIU last year..and i was accepted..as an out-of-state applicant..

An interview wasn't required, and i chose to enroll elsewhere... so unfortunately i was not able to visit and learn 1st-hand about that fine program..

my understanding is that almost all state programs(maybe mcg is the exception) do interview (and occationally matriculate) out-of-state applicants..

good luck pre-dents!

Hey thanks for the info. I applied to SIU as out of state.
They sent me a little packet that was info on the school and a card that had the statement checked "no more information needed at this time". I got that in the mail around the beginning of Nov. I haven't heard anything else from them. I guess that's not a good sign.

Roxy76

Don't worry about not hearing from SIU yet. I know that's hard to do, but I applied there too and haven't heard anything from them either. I received the same info from them as you. Interviews are not mandatory; however, I've heard most of their prospective students have set up a tour of the school and talked with the faculty. If you could do that, I think that would give you a better chance at getting accepted being that you are out-of-state. It would really show that you want to attend SIU. I haven't done that myself, but I received an acceptance from UIC so I'm going there and pulling my application from SIU. Good luck!

I called this summer and set up a time to go tour the school and talk w/a faculty member about attending. I thought everything went well, though I was under the impression that had I been living with my dad(an IL resident), I would have a greater chance of getting in there. I really don't know what else I can do...besides wait. Any suggestions?

Maybe you could call SIU and ask them about the status of your application?

Hi, I am attending Southern Illinois in the fall. I am from Nebraska and went to school in St Louis, at Wash U. During my interview they told me that they only accept 5 people from out of state. If I would have known this earlier I probably would not have applied. I have worked as an assistant for 7 years though, and this probably helped my get in.

Congrats Larichar. I got into SIU early Jan, but decided to go to UIC cuz it's in the city. U went to WASH U? I actually went to SLU. What a coincidence. Anyways, SIU i've heard has a very good curriculum and I know alot of SIU 4th years going to SLU's endo/perio program, so if your looking to specialize, SIUs a good place to be.

Lazr, I'm excited to be close to St Louis, it's a shame there aren't any dental schools in town. Aren't you going to miss the Humphry's on Wednesday night? Did you know anybody from Omaha while you were at SLU?