Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU OT volunteer evaluations question HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJSU Volunteer Form Question!

• from evaluator to SJSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • from me to SJSU

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ssr56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

For submitting volunteer eval forms to SJSU, do they come straight from the evaluator to the university? OR, are they supposed to be in individual envelopes but coming from US (along with unofficial GRE scores, etc) ? I've called SJSU and emailed but no response.. Really need an answer.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm applying to SJSU as well. I had my evaluators fill the forms out and give them to me in a sealed envelope. That's when you include all your forms and what not in a another envelope and give to the department. Hope this helps!

Since the Letters of Recommendations are coming from OTCAS this year, do we need to fill out the SJSU "Right of Access to Letter of Recommendation" ? In the past, they have required this form to be in the same envelope as the LOR, but I am assuming these forms are not necessary this year.

SO, Sign the top of the Eval Form give it to the eval to complete and have them seal the envelope. I am probably going to have them give it back to me so that I can put both envelopes from the Evals in with my unofficial GRE scores and send off to the OT department.

Does this sound about right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming that we don't need that sheet since it's coming from OTCAS. I wasn't planning on including it with my apps. I gave my OT's the Right of Access to LOR form and the Eval form with an envelope to enclose all the info. I am just putting it all in a manila envelope with all sealed forms. Hope this makes sense! Lol.

If we don't need the right of access form, then why did you include it? Or am I confused about which form you are talking about?

For the volunteer evaluation forms we need to include the right to LOR form since that is turned into the university. We don't need it for the submission of LOR via OTCAS.

I can't speak to this years admission cycle since when I applied last year OTCAS was not in place yet. They didn't care who sent in the evaluator/ LOR forms as long as they were in a sealed envelope with a signature on the back. I personally had my evaluators give me the envelope back to me so I could send all of my items together so there was less chance of it getting lost in the mail. Hope this helps and good luck!

The more I read this, the less I understand!

From SJSU's website:
Minimum of 80 hours volunteer experience or paid work experience in at least 2 different types of healthcare, education, or social service settings; 60 of the hours must be completed under the supervision of an occupational therapist. Applicants are also required to complete a minimum of 20 hours at a community agency under the supervision of a community agency supervisor (i.e., teacher, administrator, nurse, social worker, etc.) in addition to completing the 60 hours under the supervision of an OTR/L. Examples of community agencies include schools, churches, health care agencies, social-service groups, adult day centers, advocacy groups, community mental health agencies, services for the developmentally disabled, and homeless shelters just to name a few. If the student prefers, all 80 hours can be completed under the supervision of an OTR/L.

Question:
I asked 2 OTRs in 2 different healthcare settings (SNF, acute care hosp) to fill out SJSU's Evaluation form on my behalf. Total hours exceed 80, each is more than 20.
Do I still need 20 hrs in a community setting, since neither of these health care settings is considered a community agency, or am I good under "If the student prefers, all 80 hours can be completed under the supervision of an OTR/L" ?

How do you interpret this?
TIA!

I completed all of my hours with OTs when I applied last year. It was no problem. Just make sure that if you get letter of rec from the same clinic it is written by a different OT than the one who filled out the evaluation form

Reactions: 1 user
I completed all of my hours with OTs when I applied last year. It was no problem. Just make sure that if you get letter of rec from the same clinic it is written by a different OT than the one who filled out the evaluation form
Thanks for replying so quickly!
Can I also ask, if you're currently attending, do you enjoy the program? And is the physical disabilities clinic still operating for 2nd year students? (I am esp interested in that).

Thanks!

Thanks for replying so quickly!
Can I also ask, if you're currently attending, do you enjoy the program? And is the physical disabilities clinic still operating for 2nd year students? (I am esp interested in that).

Thanks!
Yes to both! :) Good luck!

Print the Right of Access form and the Eval form, have your evaluator fill it out, SIGN THE SEAL OF THE ENVELOPE and either send it to SJSU or to you and you can include it in your packet for the Department.

Has anyone been in touch with the department? About how long did you receive an email back? I emailed them to confirm if my app was complete but they haven't responded yet :(

Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone been in touch with the department? About how long did you receive an email back? I emailed them to confirm if my app was complete but they haven't responded yet :(

Thanks!
I emailed them Sept 20 at 2:00ish to confirm that received my application packet for the OT Dept. They emailed me back by 6:00. I'm sure they are just inundated with correspondences right now.

I emailed them Sept 20 at 2:00ish to confirm that received my application packet for the OT Dept. They emailed me back by 6:00. I'm sure they are just inundated with correspondences right now.
Did you email Dr. Gigi Smith directly or a graduate assistant? I'd also like to confirm they rec'vd the dept materials. TIA

Did you email Dr. Gigi Smith directly or a graduate assistant? I'd also like to confirm they rec'vd the dept materials. TIA
Email the grad assistant.

I emailed the grad assistant (Amanda Jordan).

Last edited:
Hi everyone, can someone help me with my LOR vs Eval Form situation?

If I only volunteered under two OTR/L's for 20 hours each, does that mean I need another 20 hours with another OTR/L to meet the minimum of 60 volunteer hours under an OTR/L?

It's a weird situation since I volunteer at a hospital, so I don't really get to choose who I volunteer under every time I come in. It just depends on who's available. It just so happened to be that I was able to volunteer under two specific OTR/L's by chance. I've actually volunteered under a dozen OTR/L's in this hospital, but they vary from 1-12 hours each besides the other two.

I wonder if I can just have the manager of this department (she is also an OTR/L) fill out the evaluation form and confirming my hours so I can use the two OTR/L's for LOR in OTCAS instead.

What do you all think? I tried asking through email, but it seems that only one student ambassador is answering emails this summer and only after her fieldwork. So, I understand that her emails won't be coming super quickly. But, this is stressing me out! SJSU is my top choice!