Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU vs. USC MOT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveot4kids

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone in either program comment on the following topics? I'm having a difficult time deciding between which program to choose. I'm originally from San Jose (where my family is now) but am currently living in LA right now (since I went to UCLA and chose to stay here during my gap year off).

(1) Financial Aid - how much scholarship does USC typically give out? I received a small scholarship but it honestly only puts a dent in the cost and I have emailed Sarah to ask if there will be other scholarships that I can be considered for as well. I know SJSU is by far more affordable but perhaps USC can be affordable as well? I do not feel comfortable taking out 100k in loans at all.

(2) Hands-on experience: For fieldwork, which school allows for more hands-on experience? When do we get to shadow patients? Do we do it in groups or individually?

(3) Schedule: Does your schedule and workload allow for a part-time job? How much time do you spend studying?

(4) Overall impression: What is your overall impression with the program? Strengths and weaknesses?

Any input would greatly be appreciated! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any answers for this post? I'm curious as well, esp. about USC.

Hi All,

Can anyone in either program comment on the following topics? I'm having a difficult time deciding between which program to choose. I'm originally from San Jose (where my family is now) but am currently living in LA right now (since I went to UCLA and chose to stay here during my gap year off).

(1) Financial Aid - how much scholarship does USC typically give out? I received a small scholarship but it honestly only puts a dent in the cost and I have emailed Sarah to ask if there will be other scholarships that I can be considered for as well. I know SJSU is by far more affordable but perhaps USC can be affordable as well? I do not feel comfortable taking out 100k in loans at all.

(2) Hands-on experience: For fieldwork, which school allows for more hands-on experience? When do we get to shadow patients? Do we do it in groups or individually?

(3) Schedule: Does your schedule and workload allow for a part-time job? How much time do you spend studying?

(4) Overall impression: What is your overall impression with the program? Strengths and weaknesses?

Any input would greatly be appreciated! Thank you so much!

@loveot4kids I probably don't have the best answers for you but I'll give you my two cents as to why I only applied to SJSU and not to USC. For me it was about cost and location. I have been in the Bay for the last 8 years and knew that I did not want to move away to attend school so that really limited where I could apply. Second, is cost. SJSU is by far more affordable and as a public institution it has more financial aid available to students (if you are low income there is a state university grant that will pay 75% of your tuition). So if you qualify, and fill out scholarships, you could very well pay next to nothing getting your masters at SJSU. USC on the other hand will put you back considerably, even with a scholarship or two I don't think it would help in the long run. And there is also cost of living to think about as well. So in the end, I would chose SJSU over USC if you don't mind moving back. In the long run it only matters if you can pass the exam, not where you went to school. Wish I could be more help, hope someone else jumps on this thread to give more info :)

Reactions: 1 users