Skeletal muscle: H zone, I band, etc., etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the EK bio book, the section on skeletal muscle has an orange blurb off to the side (these are important "hints," in case you're not familiar with EK) that states "...you should be able to tell that the H zone and I band get smaller, while the A band does not change size." in reference to muscle contraction.

While the nearby figure illustrates Z line, A band, H zone, I band, etc., there is NOTHING written that explains what these are, and obviously none of the indicators that these are "must-know" items (other than the side blurb). Anyone have any clue if it is important to know what these are, their functions, components, what happens during contraction, etc.? Are you expected to know this for the exam?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In the EK bio book, the section on skeletal muscle has an orange blurb off to the side (these are important "hints," in case you're not familiar with EK) that states "...you should be able to tell that the H zone and I band get smaller, while the A band does not change size." in reference to muscle contraction.

While the nearby figure illustrates Z line, A band, H zone, I band, etc., there is NOTHING written that explains what these are, and obviously none of the indicators that these are "must-know" items (other than the side blurb). Anyone have any clue if it is important to know what these are, their functions, components, what happens during contraction, etc.? Are you expected to know this for the exam?

Thanks.

The H zone is only the thick myosin band, the I band is the only the thin actin band and A band is between the z line that has both the thick and thin band. A band never changes size and the I and H band decrease in size during contraction. I suggest, u can look the images up on the internet or check out one of your bio books other than EK, Kaplan. idid the same!!