Skills/knowledge to get down before anesthesiology rotations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incrediblybored

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a third-year setting up elective rotations now for the gas programs in which I'm interested. That said, I've only done two weeks of anesthesiology thus far and no ER, so I haven't had a lot of chances to practice procedures and so on, other than a few intubations and starting one IV line on a classmate. Also, I'm okay with my hands, but not amazing like a lot of people. Are there any particular skills that I should get down before I start all the electives? Any tips for practicing them?

Also, for the electives, is it important to read anything in particular other than baby Miller, by which I mean any studies? My research project has gotten me into some of the classic cardiac risk index studies and the POISE trial, so I know a little bit about those, but not too much else.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a third-year setting up elective rotations now for the gas programs in which I'm interested. That said, I've only done two weeks of anesthesiology thus far and no ER, so I haven't had a lot of chances to practice procedures and so on, other than a few intubations and starting one IV line on a classmate. Also, I'm okay with my hands, but not amazing like a lot of people. Are there any particular skills that I should get down before I start all the electives? Any tips for practicing them?

Also, for the electives, is it important to read anything in particular other than baby Miller, by which I mean any studies? My research project has gotten me into some of the classic cardiac risk index studies and the POISE trial, so I know a little bit about those, but not too much else.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Granted I'm not in any way related to the application process, but I think it would be prudent to learn about the physiology an pharmacology of anesthesia rather than being good at procedures. Not being able to intubate someone on the first try by would show me nothing in regards to whether you would become a good anesthesiologist, but showing me that you have a desire to learn and be good at the science of the medicine would show worlds.

The dexterity involved with doing procedures are skills which a 14 year old boy can learn with little to no medical knowledge, but the knowledge base that you must acquire to provide appropriate anesthesia and take care of a patient pre/post operatively takes years more. Use the anesthesia rotation to gain proficiency in the procedures, and prepare for the rotation by reading and understanding the medications involved, the preoperative care involved, and the post operative care involved.

As far as books are concerned, I personally like the Lange Anesthesiology book, seems pretty good, I'd concentrate on the pharmacology as well as the physiology involved with care of specific patient populations (hearts, ortho, etc).

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure other people will be able to give better advice given they have more experience.

The following must be MASTERED prior to starting:

A) coffee drinking
B) hanging aroung BSing
C) patience
D) newspaper reading

Master these and you're golden!

Members don't see this ad :)
Master the skills of
1. not being nervous around apneic patients
2. taking initiative and showing interest w/o overdoing it

1. Read "anesthesia secrets" by James Duke if you want to look like a stud during a pimp session.

2. Be curteous, humble and friendly around scrub techs, nurses, and surgeons. "Bow your head".

3. Be early, go the extra mile (preop inpatients for residents), stay later to postop. Know YOUR PATIENTS.

4. Attend grand rounds, lectures, social functions, happy hour if invited.

5. Master the art of being cool, laid back, and fun to hang around with attitude. Yet be inquisitive and adaptable....learn how to read and respond to different personalities and moods.....easier said than done.

6. Be calm in the storm (when $crap hits the fan) don't panic! :)

7. Practice necessary speech and think before you speak.

8. Leave your ego and pride at home. Once again "bow your head!" - read the post by Jet:)

Have a great time bud! Don't worry too much. If you stay up with the readings, show initiative, have good work ethics, be humble, helpful & polite to everyone in the OR....you will be golden. Practical techniques will come with repetitions - try to understand why you fail at a procedure is important- don't just ignore it... Watching video clips of procedures will also help. YouTube got some good clips.

To practice, you could buy some blades on eBay -pretty cheap. I love the short/stubby handle. You will look like a dork carrying your own blade handle, but it is better than a fanny pack.

I.V. Pratice- do a peds Anes rotation at home before you do your number one program elective. You will get tons of ivs. Kids are usually asleep by the time you try the IV. If you can put one in a 1 month old...you will be golden. If you can do a baby's saphenous blind on one trial, I will bow to you. V.A. - another great place for ivs.

Last edited:
The Handbook of Anesthesiology (Ezekiel) is also a quick and dirty pocketbook that I liked to look over before cases. Had a lot of answers to the common pimp questions. I saw a lot of residents carrying it around at the two places I did rotations. It is pretty cheap as well (~$15 on Amazon).

Also the laminated Cusick Anesthesia and Critical Care Reference Sheet is good info.

We can all heckle this kinda post.

But I gotta tell you:

I've been in private practice nearing THIRTEEN YEARS.

WAY removed from residency.

But I still remember this ONE med student...

Najeeb.

When I was a resident this third year Tulane med student named Najeeb showed up.

He got there before me.

He left after me.

He was easy going, friendly but not patronizing, humble, absorbed everything you told him like some mutant sponge, attended all M&Ms, all morning conferences, worked with different residents and staff....

Then he came back for a fourth year rotation.

And repeated the above.

Dude had a residency slot allocated to him before he even applied.

Did his residency at Tulane and followed my buddy's to Vegas...think he came outta residency around 1999 and as far as I know he's still in private practice in Vegas....

Anyway, thought it important to post that you DEFINITELY CAN MAKE AN IMPACT AS A MED STUDENT ON AN ANESTHESIA ROTATION if you so desire.

Obviously, since I still remember the dude's name thirteen years later.

NAJEEB.

Last edited:
The following must be MASTERED prior to starting:

A) coffee drinking
B) hanging aroung BSing
C) patience
D) newspaper reading

Master these and you're golden!

E) Figuring out how to get past the hospital firewall to be able to get to the blocked sites like YouTube, ESPN, and Facebook...

(Sadly, my intern (future radiologist - no insult intended) gave me this task during my medicine rotation)

E) Figuring out how to get past the hospital firewall to be able to get to the blocked sites like YouTube, ESPN, and Facebook...

(Sadly, my intern (future radiologist - no insult intended) gave me this task during my medicine rotation)

If you're willing to pay, that part is easy:

http://www.virtual-browser.com/

basically a browser within a browser, completely bypasses work firewalls.

i have this old crumpled up copy and really want a new one. if anyone has it thanks.