Skin and vessels: Sympathetic, not parasymp innervation, right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going crazy, cannot find this in my books, but know it from school. True or false?

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't it both? sympathetic works to restrict blood flow and parasympathetic will work to dilate the vessels.

As far as I know I don't think paraNS exists in the blood vessels...and I'm doubly not sure about skin. I could google it.....

ohh I think I remember something from my physio course about this, let me know if this makes sense to you:

Blood vessels have inherent tone, so when sympathetic stimulation increases, they can further constrict, and when sympathetic stimulation is removed, they can relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
That I do know for a while since a lot of drugs act to remove that tone from the vessels. Same with the heart and paraNS: If there was no dual innervation, the heart is either on or off, no inbetween, same with vessels.

ohh I think I remember something from my physio course about this, let me know if this makes sense to you:

Blood vessels have inherent tone, so when sympathetic stimulation increases, they can further constrict, and when sympathetic stimulation is removed, they can relax.
It's not a matter of sympathetic stimulation causes vasoconstriction while removing sympathetic stimulation causes vasodilation.

Sympathetic activity causes vasoconstriction and vasodilation depending on what adrenergic receptors (the receptors that norepi/epi bind to) are present in the vasculature in different areas of the body.

It's not a matter of sympathetic stimulation causes vasoconstriction while removing sympathetic stimulation causes vasodilation.

Sympathetic activity causes vasoconstriction and vasodilation depending on what adrenergic receptors (the receptors that norepi/epi bind to) are present in the vasculature in different areas of the body.

OH! Yeah yeah thank you do much! Now I remember everything about the alpha/beta 1 and 2 receptors. Can't believe I forgot about those.