Skin Squamous with brain invasion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busy body

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a guy with multiple recurrences of skin cancer of the scalp who now has brain and bone invasion locally just adjacent to the precentral gyrus. 78yo and a KPS of 70. Anyone think more resection is necessary since they will not resect the area well enough to get a GTR? Should I just do 60 Gy and 30fx and tell neurosurgery to hold off? Can't really find much literature on outcomes once the brain parenchyma is involved by skin cancer.

Members don't see this ad.

Should've gotten radiation like 5 stops ago, but I'm sure he wasn't referred to you prior to this point. I'd do 60/30, consider a focal boost of 4/2 as possible. Agree no point of NSG to resect b/c he's going to need adjuvant RT anyways. Be wide in your margins.

Indeed, irradiation now seems reasonable without further surgery. Check for nodes; when these tumors grow aggressively they tend to metastasize too...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd consider chemo (platinum or cetuximab) as well. No data--this person is just going to need all the help they can get.

I imagine that they've already had systemic staging.

Reactions: 1 users
After managing a few of such cases, my strong bias is surgery first. XRT does not result in durable control. Disease often linger locally.
Of course not everyone is a candidate for craniotomy.

After managing a few of such cases, my strong bias is surgery first. XRT does not result in durable control. Disease often linger locally.

I'd argue that a 78yo w/ KPS of 70 (as long as the KPS is not due to his tumor, which I expect is the case) is not the greatest patient to take for a craniectomy.

Agree with the other two points about lymph node evaluation and consideration of concurrent chemo.

Agree with this wholeheartedly if patient is a candidate. If someone isn't gonna go in and resect bone, this is short-term palliation. I have been sent a few myself and they all did poorly with XRT alone (i.e. tumor regrowth only a few months later). Gave 1 patient concurrent chemo and did nothing. These aggressive squams of the skin are bad news.

Last edited: