johndoe3344

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is the skin wound healing timeline the same as that for heart or brain? Or is it much faster? The times for heart and brain wound healing is:

neutrophils @ days 1-3
macrophages @ days 3-5
granulation tissue @ at about 1wk
fibrosis @ several weeks-months

Is that still correct for skin?

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is the skin wound healing timeline the same as that for heart or brain? Or is it much faster? The times for heart and brain wound healing is:

neutrophils @ days 1-3
macrophages @ days 3-5
granulation tissue @ at about 1wk
fibrosis @ several weeks-months

Is that still correct for skin?
What kind of skin injury are you talking about? And you're comparing to ischemic injury in the heart/brain, correct? Those are way different processes than wound healing, so not easily comparable.

If you just talking about physical wounds....see the explanation on pg. 248 of First AId.

1. Immediate infilitration of platelets neutrophils and macrophages. Stop bleeding, protect from infection, clear debris, etc.
2. 2-3 days: Deposition of granulation tissue, collagen, angiogenesis, myofibroblasts contract wound.
3. 1 week: Fibroblast remodeling (Type III collagen replaced by Type I= i.e. Type I is stronger).

OP
J

johndoe3344

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What kind of skin injury are you talking about? And you're comparing to ischemic injury in the heart/brain, correct? Those are way different processes than wound healing, so not easily comparable.

If you just talking about physical wounds....see the explanation on pg. 248 of First AId.

1. Immediate infilitration of platelets neutrophils and macrophages. Stop bleeding, protect from infection, clear debris, etc.
2. 2-3 days: Deposition of granulation tissue, collagen, angiogenesis, myofibroblasts contract wound.
3. 1 week: Fibroblast remodeling (Type III collagen replaced by Type I= i.e. Type I is stronger).
Okay that makes sense. I just lumped all of "injury" and "healing" together :(

san2

Removed
May 7, 2012
Status
glycolic acid helps in skin regeneration. random fact of the day