skindoc

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by san, Oct 31, 2002.

1. san

san Member

thanks for yr input..so now I have one more criteria to add to my list public Vs private hospital, but how does somebody like me living in another continent know this ( I know this not an excuse but..) Is it the program/ hospital website that has this info ?? :confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. san

san Member

sorry guys, this was supposed to be the reply to my previous posting- I pressed the wrong button:p

4. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member

This sort of information is generally not discussed much on hospitals websites.You have to speak to people familiar with a given program or post messages here to get feedback.As a rule scutwork is a problem at large public hospitals in inner cities.But that dosent mean the program is bad..the NYU Bellvue residency has plenty of scut but the reputation and quality of teaching is outstanding.A smaller private hospital might have little scut and easier working conditions but the clinical training may not be nearly as good as in a large municipal hospital with many more varied types of patients.Dont pick a program purely on scut issues.Talk to the residents when you interview.

5. san

san Member

Do you have any comments about Sunny, Brooklyn- plenty of scut work I heard but I am quite efficient with minor procedures and chasing reports having done residency in Australia for 16 months.

Thanx

6. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member

Yes plenty of scutwork but great clinical experience and good fellowship opportunities I have heard.

7. DR

DR Xtra Large Member

SUNY Brooklyn is the kind of place where you either love it, or hate it. It's in a terrible area of Brooklyn, and it's scut. scut, and more scut. However, it's one of those places where when you're done, you will pretty much have seen it all. Go visit.