1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

skip rotating intern year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by walrus, Aug 14, 2002.

1. walrus

walrus Member
    7+ Year Member

O.K. I'm hoping someone will know the answer to this...

If you graduate from D.O. school, but decide you want to enter an allopathic residency, can you skip the rotating D.O. intern year and just do an allopathic intern year, or is it a hard and fast rule that you must do a rotating year, then start again with an allopathic intern year before completing your residency?

many thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

From what I understand you cannot skip the DO internship unless there are some external mitigating circumstances. There might be others who have been allowed to skip it, I don't know.

Just look at it this way. After your DO internship you'll be working with MD first year interns. With your one year of experience already you'll be THE MAN .

By the way, at the end of any interviews you might get they'll ask you if you have any questions for them. Refrain from asking that one.

4. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

You're not absolutely required to do a rotating internship unless you want to practice in one of the infamous 5 states that require it (those states being OK, WV, PA, MI, and FL). Also, if you're thinking about going to one of those states, there are some circumstances (although I'm not sure of the specifics) where your allopathic PGY-1 will be accepted in lieu of the AOA internship.

5. Claymore

Claymore Yankees Suck
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You do not have to do an osteopathic internship to become licensed as a D.O. in most states. You only need to if you intend to practice in the 5 states that require it...Florida, Penn, MI, and 2 others. However, a large percentage of graduating D.O.'s simply do an allopathic residency and avoid those 5 states.

6. walrus

walrus Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the great info. You guys rock!

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can also do a residency that is AOA approved as well as ACGME approved. Your first year of residency will be counted as your internship year and you will not be required to complete the internship separately.