Nov 20, 2010
Status
How many classes have you skipped? I'm usually not the type to do such a thing, but I've skipped a few classes this year. I'm lucky enough to have good friends who aren't in premed and are willing to lend me their notes. I've mostly skipped math, it's not so bad. All the teacher does is writes on the board for 75 minutes and I usually understand faster writing the notes outside of class.

I skipped the classes because I wanted to study or I had to finish a paper.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I usually went to class in college since they basically give you everything they're going to test on during class. There were a few I skipped regularly, though, and it was great. Med school is a different story, though. My life (and grades, for what it's worth) got way, way better once I stopped going to class.

paul411

ANES
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
With the exception of my running class, I've skipped pretty much all my other classes this semester. All the Powerpoints are online so I usually just show up on exam days. Personally, I don't retain information very well when it's presented to me for extended periods of time (especially at 8AM :S). I'd rather read, think, learn, re-read, etc.

MidnightSun32

10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2009
Status
Medical Student
In general, I go to class. However, I haven't been to a chem class in two weeks (except for lab-- can't really miss that!). It's the first time I've not learned well from the teacher so I study on my own. I've missed a class here and there over the past couple years without it being a problem.

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you can get away with it in some of your classes. I've skipped a few chem lectures, but I basically just teach myself using the book and the workbook to go with it.

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Skipping classes makes me feel guilty for some reason, although I haven't been to my Intro Politics class in like a week. It's so boring and easy that I'd rather not waste my time.

eablackwell

It Wasn't Me
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2009
The Land of Sleepless Nights
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I went to the first day of stats, said "this lady is making my head hurt." I came for the midterm and the final. B+ without having to feel my head explode due to ridiculous complications of easy subject matter = priceless.

I went to all my science and math classes otherwise. Gen Ed skips... I can't count that high. :p

Tappinfool66

7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2010
Philadelphia
Status
Medical Student
I remember I skipped an entire week of Gender in America once. Made up some lie. Other than that, I'm not really a skipper.

NYCGuy86

7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2010
New York City
Status
Non-Student
I skipped Gen Chem I today, the weather was horrible. I've probably skipped it 3 times, but I've still got very good grades in the class :)

SimplyMars9

it all makes sense now
Aug 13, 2010
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I skipped my physics class whenever possible. He sucked as a professor and I wasn't about to waste my time staring at a PowerPoint when I could teach myself way better. I also skipped Orgo Chem I. Got an A in that

The first semester when I went to class I got a B. The next semester when I stopped going, I got an A.

That being said, I only skip in my larger lecture classes. I hate missing any classes that has < 35 students. Since they're smaller, participation and attendance usually make up a portion of the final grade.

Sep 5, 2010
Status
I've skipped a few classes for being sick this semester. Sometimes that extra hour or two of sleep makes a difference at how well I'm able to think.

I had skipped one day over spring break to have my car looked at. The place I go to for car repair is honest and does a wonderful job, but if you don't get there by 10:30 you may or may not have your car checked. And I didn't want to risk using the car in bad weather while driving 60+ miles north to see in-laws that live in the middle of no where. Luckily one class was cancelled, one class didn't take attendance, and as for the last one I just told her the truth.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lectures weren't my learning style so I probably went to ~50% over 4 years.

gravitywave

fourth year
Dec 19, 2009
s/p ERAS
Status
Medical Student
Me too. I can't quite pinpoint why though, since everyone else does it.
loads of med students do this. when i ask them why they still go, they have no answer. they know they could be getting better use of their time, but they go anyway. it baffles me.

Forthegood

ProcrastinationAficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Lexington, KY
Status
Medical Student
loads of med students do this. when i ask them why they still go, they have no answer. they know they could be getting better use of their time, but they go anyway. it baffles me.
I hear the same ALL the time. It is weird how some people can be so easily guilted into things.

I went to class during gross first year, and haven't been back since. I just can't justify wasting my time and having to wake up so early everyday. That is what M3 is for, and I am in no hurry to be on that sinking ship.

StephBee

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm in the "i feel guilty' boat. but that's probably because the classes I would want to skip have less than 20 people in them so if I don't show up, the professor knows and I get a "What happened today?" email. (Apperently, I have one of those personalities where every professor in every class i'm in knows me. I can't get away with anything!)Oddly, I feel the worst about ditching my TA gig. I get paid to go to class but I don't do anything. It's really hard to force myself to goto a 9;30 after working till midnight the night before. Only have missed about 4 class, 3 due to severe illness and/or dentist appointments.

But, freshman year, I didn't goto a single chem 1 lecture. I got a 4 on the AP test but had to retake (apperently, you need a 5 to start the orgo sequence. sooo stupid)and got a 98% in the class.

I have 13 more classes left in college and i don't want to go to a single one of them.

Forthegood

ProcrastinationAficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Lexington, KY
Status
Medical Student
I'm in the "i feel guilty' boat. but that's probably because the classes I would want to skip have less than 20 people in them so if I don't show up, the professor knows and I get a "What happened today?" email.
I wouldn't say that is guilt driven so much as self-preservation. Small groups are different.

It does remind me in UG I used to skip ecology (every time) but I was taking the same teacher in a different class that was small that I did go to. One day in ecology the professor called me out on not being there. I heard about it from about all 100 people who actually did go to class. Oops.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I probably missed less than a dozen lectures in all of undergrad. I probably have attended 40% of lectures in medical school. Online lectures rock.

nisarg2010

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I go to Physics about twice a month (on test days..). But only because I my prof. sucks and dont learn anything in class. Thankfully I still have an A.

WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I try not to skip class. Have to get your money's worth.... haha

Jan 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Currently skipping 8am stats quite a bit this a semester, which isn't so bad because the teacher has cancelled class a couple of times anyway.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
I skipped all of my calc 2 labs last semester. My professor and I both agreed that it's ******ed to drive 2 hours round trip (I live off campus) for a 2 hour calculus lab and sit around for 3 hours for my next class. I just copied the assignment off the computers did them the next day either at home or between classes.

I think I'm going to skip organic II all next semester. My professor is a clueless dip**** who "teaches" by reading slides, and of course the class has to be at 8:30 am.

Last edited:

DM3

Oct 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Can't believe no one has mentioned attendance quizzes or those damn iclickers. They are beginning to creep into our UG restricted electives...

luke587

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I skip my humanities lecture all the time probably havn't been in 2 weeks,
I did get a A+ on the midterm and A+ on both the papers, so obviously it the lecture doesn't make a difference as long as you the read the book

I also skip chemistry lectures quite often but never miss discussion/lab because attendance is like 20% of the grade, but the professor puts all the powerpoints online so its kind of a waste of time to go id rather just read and work problems.