This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supercoolturtles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on what other classes you'll be taking and how well you can teach yourself. My undergrad didn't even have an intro bio course, but I, too, scored a 5 on AP bio. In college, I took genetics and cell bio. I also didn't take anatomy/physiology or an MCAT prep course and still got a 14 on bio for the old MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone at your school (pre-med advisor or older students) could give you much better advice than anyone on here could.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks for your input! I wish I could ask someone, but I don't actually know anyone older from my school and, unfortunately, I've heard UT pre-med advising is not that great. Hopefully some other UT students will see this thread though!
maybe go to the medical school forums and PM a couple of them this question ;)

Personally, I took the Intro to Bio classes while I was in highschool at a local community college. By the time I actually got to university, I didn't remember most of it, and jumped straight into Genetics and Cell Bio. I struggled a bit with Genetics at first, but I think that was less the material, and more learning how to study/take notes for my first bio class. A lot of the stuff I needed for the MCAT, I learned in Cell Biology/upper level courses, so I think you'll be fine skipping Intro to Biology! Just make sure to actually brush up on basic biology principles if you find yourself in class not getting something.

Of course, I don't know how it'll be at your school or anything, but it's just my two cents, haha.

I'm generally opposed to using AP credit to get out of an entire 2 semester sequence(you are far more likely to regret it later on than be thankful you skipped out of a 2 semester class that at worst would have been review for you and a simple A) but if you are going to do it realize you for MCAT bio you are going to have to do a fair amount of self studying. The Bio on the MCAT isn't a subject like Ochem; it's so variable in how its taught and whats covered that you can't just assume that you will know most of the material for the MCAT even if you do well in the class. So no, if you are going to skip intro Bio(which again I think in many cases isn't a good idea) I don't think it will really impact your chances for a desirable MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
YMMV, but I also got a 5 on AP Bio and received credit for General Bio 1, 2, and respective labs (9 credits total). I still took the courses at my university, and I'm very glad I did. The knowledge required to get a 5 on the AP was nowhere near the same knowledge I got out of those classes. The classes were also a nice sGPA booster.

That's personal experience. Now, objectively, many schools frown upon using AP Credits for prerequisites, and some won't accept them at all. Schools generally "expect" that you complete prerequisites at a 4 year institution, and that statement can be quoted from several medical school admissions pages and secondary applications. It's true that you can reaffirm your competency by doing well in a higher division course, but in the end I would argue that getting A's in General Biology sequences, then an A in genetics will ALWAYS look better than using AP Credits, then getting an A in genetics.

Basically, from a medical school admissions perspective, I personally feel that the academic benefits outweigh the time saved by utilizing AP credits.

It depends. I would take the biochem focused intro to bio because it's usually easy. I'd avoid the one where you have to be able to classify a diatom from a squid or whatever (they're completely different, I know). Completely useless in all health-related fields.

How long ago did you take AP bio? If you remember the basics, the upper division bio courses you could take instead (after or in addition to genetics) will be much, much more helpful on the MCAT than any intro content could be. You can always brush up on the basics with review books, but it's more difficult to teach yourself higher level scientific analysis that will be a big part of later courses. Of course, this assumes the schools you are interested in would be ok with skipping intro with an AP credit...

I knew a couple of people who still took General Bio 1/2 despite testing out of it in High School. It was a good adjustment class for the rest of College and a nice cushion for their GPA.
It's not bad for the MCAT because every Science class you'll take from now on will have some type of tie-in with what you would've learned in General Bio and you'll still have Content Review which would cover everything.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't you need a year of biology for almost all schools' prerequisites? Take bio and get A's to boost your gpa or make sure you cover the prerequisites for schools before you skip it

Well, if you got a 5 for AP Bio then I'd say you can skip intro to bio. If you truly feel confident like you know your bio material then skip it and move on with upper level classes.

Best of luck, OP.

I've seen too many ppl struggle in their first year with 2nd year level sciences to recommend skipping freshman bio. Take it and enjoy the refresher while u get used to college. The transition to college is hard enough and the road to medicine is so long that skipping 2 classes will make no difference for you. I took a Gen Chem sequence through a CC during college and got an A but decided to take again while at my university and it was the best choice I could make.