Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Skyrocketing Cost of Health Care

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by olliemctuffy, Mar 5, 2007.

1. olliemctuffy

olliemctuffy Member

Medical Student
    So everywhere I look there are stories about the uninsured and the "sky-rocketing" costs of health care. Curiously, there are not many stories about why the cost is sky-rocketing. Any ideas?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Trismegistus4

Trismegistus4 Worried Wellologist
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Health care costs have been "skyrocketing" since the early 1980's at least. The health care system has also been in "crisis" for at least that long. I have to wonder just how bad this "skyrocketing" "crisis" really is considering that its "implosion" has been just around the corner for nigh on 30 years and hasn't happened yet.

4. dutchman

Post Doc
    There are many reasons. For example, Americans want to reserve the right to sue the crap out of hospitals and doctors for millions of dollars for even the most meritless reasons. That makes the business of healthcare very risky and consequently expensive. Not to mention that doctors are ordering worthless legal cover tests, and employing every piece of new technology that they can lay their hands on so they can cover their asses. All that costs money.

5. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Patients don't pay much of their own bills. Costs actually began to skyrocket in the mid 60s after medicare was implemented. As a patient who pays insurance or receives government aid, I demand the best, because I've prepaid for any catastrophe. Thus, costs have to perpetually increase, because every new technology becomes an unfunded mandate that must be supplied to everyone.

6. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I once saw a pt in the ED who, while I was getting a history, demanded (unsolicited, I might add) that if he needed drugs to correct his complaint he get the real ones, you know, the good ones b/c he has excellent insurance.

By excellent insurance he meant medicare.

P.S. No he didn't need any new meds . . . surprise, surprise.