olliemctuffy

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So everywhere I look there are stories about the uninsured and the "sky-rocketing" costs of health care. Curiously, there are not many stories about why the cost is sky-rocketing. Any ideas?

Trismegistus4

Worried Wellologist
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So everywhere I look there are stories about the uninsured and the "sky-rocketing" costs of health care. Curiously, there are not many stories about why the cost is sky-rocketing. Any ideas?

Health care costs have been "skyrocketing" since the early 1980's at least. The health care system has also been in "crisis" for at least that long. I have to wonder just how bad this "skyrocketing" "crisis" really is considering that its "implosion" has been just around the corner for nigh on 30 years and hasn't happened yet.

dutchman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc

There are many reasons. For example, Americans want to reserve the right to sue the crap out of hospitals and doctors for millions of dollars for even the most meritless reasons. That makes the business of healthcare very risky and consequently expensive. Not to mention that doctors are ordering worthless legal cover tests, and employing every piece of new technology that they can lay their hands on so they can cover their asses. All that costs money.

About the Ads

Miami_med

Moving Far Away
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Now the opposite of Miami
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Patients don't pay much of their own bills. Costs actually began to skyrocket in the mid 60s after medicare was implemented. As a patient who pays insurance or receives government aid, I demand the best, because I've prepaid for any catastrophe. Thus, costs have to perpetually increase, because every new technology becomes an unfunded mandate that must be supplied to everyone.

Dakota

15+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I once saw a pt in the ED who, while I was getting a history, demanded (unsolicited, I might add) that if he needed drugs to correct his complaint he get the real ones, you know, the good ones b/c he has excellent insurance.

By excellent insurance he meant medicare.

P.S. No he didn't need any new meds . . . surprise, surprise.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.