Slack-off electives in Asia or Europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotrumpet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the match, lots of schools still require their students to do electives.

But I bet many of us would not be in the mood for more work, if there is an opportunity to go eg. overseas and do little work, but use the extra time to travel.

Do you guys know of any opportunities in Asia or Europe (maybe Eastern Europe too?) to do electives overseas, where there is little work expected, and you can take eg. 4 weeks of your elective, to do 1 week of work, and then use the rest of the time for traveling?

I'm considering this since there is not much time to travel after graduation and before residency for many of us.

Members don't see this ad.

gotrumpet said:
After the match, lots of schools still require their students to do electives.

But I bet many of us would not be in the mood for more work, if there is an opportunity to go eg. overseas and do little work, but use the extra time to travel.

Do you guys know of any opportunities in Asia or Europe (maybe Eastern Europe too?) to do electives overseas, where there is little work expected, and you can take eg. 4 weeks of your elective, to do 1 week of work, and then use the rest of the time for traveling?

I'm considering this since there is not much time to travel after graduation and before residency for many of us.

I think some of my friends went on a pretty bull****e ''''elective''' in rarotonga / samoa a year ago. Can't remember anything except it was an obs/gyn rotation.

One of my seniors was bitching the other day about when she was a ... 'resident' (using your terms) at a Fijian hospital in which all these elective students would turn up for the first day, then the next time they were seen would be the last. She failed them all (which presumably ****ed up their graduation somewhat). So, if you are intending on this path, I might suggest making it clear to the staff before you go.