1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Slacker Rehab!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by XXTriathlete, Dec 25, 2008.

1. XXTriathlete

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Delete (Hiding my slacker ways Lol)

#1 XXTriathlete, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    eh. could go either way- if exercise med/pt is your backup, go for it. otherwise, maybe a post or smp?

4. XXTriathlete

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I thought about a post or SMP but I've already taken most of the science classes required to get into medical school (except A&P I & II and Biochem). Aren't those geared towards non-science people? Or, would I just be re-taking classes?

5. 236116

if your grades aren't hot, you'll need to take more bio to pull those marks up. if you can fit that into a 2nd bach, then do that. otherwise you'd have to do a special program, which aren't restricted.

6. XXTriathlete

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I thought med schools look at your overall science GPA; whether it be Bio, EP, physics, chem, etc? As long as you have a good science GPA...you're in good standing; am I mistaken?

I don't want to try to 'squeeze' anything into a 2nd bachelors (or even a masters) if I don't have to. I want to do what would be most efficient in my case. I was just going to get a 2nd bachelors b/c I've already finished my pre-reqs...and, EP is related to my career goal. But, it sounds like you're saying, it would be in my best bet to take more upper level bio classes (i.e. immunology, physiology, virology, etc.) or an SMP? Hhhmmm...

Thanks for the info!

Edit: I mean upper level Bio, EP, physics, Chem, etc...

#5 XXTriathlete, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  7. 236116

you mentioned low marks in bio, but yeah, the bcpm. if your 100/200s lower your bcpm, you should try for high marks in 300/400 to pull it up and show you know your stuff.

i'm assuming that you don't have to redo your gen eds- adding a handful of upperlevels should work in fairly easily.

8. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you'd be CRAZY to go through four more years of undergrad just to bring your GPA up to standards - The debt and time lost would be gigantic. Also, what you major in as an undergrad has less and less bearing on your career these days. I have trouble understanding why people double major, let alone paying for each degree separately. There must be a better way if you are thinking about cost and time efficiency.

A two year masters program with a focus in the sciences would give you plenty of time to raise your GPA and show your stuff in upper level courses. A 3.5 isn't just a 3.5 when the last four semesters are 3.9's. Also, you'd get to put in some research time as well as advance your degree. Seems like a decent option, but its still two years, you'd have to do well, and you said it yourself you are five years out of the game.

Look heavily into the post-bacc/SMP options. I know they are usually just one year and they could very well take you to where you want to be. PLEASE dont go back to redo undergrad though. :oops:

9. 236116

He wouldn't have to do 4 years, it'd be two of majors classes, which are a fallback (exercise science/pt/rehab) if he doesn't get in. it's actually a wise thing to do.

if your career is something that requires a specific course of study, then your major absolutely matters.

10. XXTriathlete

Removed

Pre-Medical
    What jurassicpark said.

And...I'm a 'she' :D "XXTriathlete"...get it? Lol.

11. 236116

:laugh: omigosh, sorry! i didn't look twice!

12. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry I didn't realize that you could go back for two years to get the second bachelors, that is interesting. Even so, the OP's more attractive option still seems to be a masters program - similar costs and time frame but receive a more advanced degree plus guaranteed research. I would think it would look better to an admissions committee as well.

A masters in Exercise Science is more valuable than a bachelors in Exercise Science regardless of your career choice in the long run. Now finding and getting into that kind of program - no clue. If that is a whole other set of unnecessary hoops to jump through than by all means, the 2nd bachelors sounds like a decent idea.

I'm just thinking about the idea of a back up plan, and "bachelors" doesn't typically translate into "job" these days. Be careful how you invest in your education!

13. p30doc

p30doc Ever true and unwavering
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Problem is grad. work won't bring up that cGPA/sGPA. OP, I was a slacker who had no intention of going to med school, then life happened and here I am. I went back and got a 2nd bachelors in 2 yrs, it seems to be working out ok for me so far.

14. Aladdin

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was in the same situation upon graduating undergrad. I took a year to continue with some undergrad upper level courses and then did an SMP for a year. You have to keep in mind that it will take a significant amount of course hours to increase a doodoo GPA.

15. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Redrumi - I'm glad that going back for the 2nd bachelors has worked out well for you. Seems like a good option to bring up low science grades.

OP, you should check out this sticky on SMP's too. One year programs built for non-trads like you. I would investigate this option heavily, because I'm not certain if these programs have high drop out/failure rates. Anyway it seems like a good sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

16. XXTriathlete

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Funny how life happens huh? I'm looking back and saying, "Ugh! Only if I would have put more effort into studying when I was in UG." Now, look what I have to deal with. Lol.

Thanks...I'll check it out.