sleep medicine and palliative medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillwell

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows much about these fields from an IM standpoint (competetiveness to get a spot seeing as others such as PM&R and Anesthesiology can do the latter and Pulmonologists do the former; also salary, hours, length of fellowship, etc). Thanks for any information

Members don't see this ad.

Sleep medicine can be done by neurologists, pulmonologists, and ENT doc's. My understanding is that reimbursement is currently very good for sleep medicine and that practioners usually end up making ~200K or more. Palliative care is often done by the anesthesioloigists who have training in pain management, but there are also a lot of FP's and internists who serve as palliative care physicians. I think that almost anybody with an MD who takes the time to learn pain management can be hired to do palliative care. I think that one reason for this is because there is very little malpractice risk in the palliative care setting, since a large part of malpractice settlements are paid for shortened lifespans or loss of ability to function or work which usually isn't an issue in palliative care. The only cases that I've seen with palliative care is regarding overdose or inadequate pain control, but even then, I don't think the lawyers aggressive pursue these because the payoff's are so low. The same actually goes for a lot of cancer management issues, they don't get sued for too much either because jurors tend to see cancer as a death sentence irrespective of what the physician does. Cancer misdiagnosis is a major reason for physicians to get sued though, since jurors see delay in treatment as harmful to patients.

Thanks for the info, Kalel. Just wondering where you got the info about salaries for sleep medicine as I have heard varying things. thanks again.

I wasn't able to find any information on sleep medicine salaries on the web, but I have talked with a neurologists who was applying for a sleep fellowship and gave me the number that I quoted you; and I know of several pulmonologists who do sleep medicine because it pays better then other parts of their practice.