Sleep meds for Obstructive Sleep Apnea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zenman1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's your med preferences for OSA for patients who continue to have difficulty sleeping?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your med preferences for OSA for patients who continue to have difficulty sleeping?

Histamine blockaid, Belsomra (though there was a study where this did increase the # of events) and/or Melatonin. If insomnia is significant enough, consider CBTI/Psychology support.

I have not heard good things about Belsomra. Lots of excessive sleepiness the next day and it not doing much to make anyone feel anymore refreshed in the morning. I'll second the CBTI stuff. Better outcomes generally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only got a few on long-term nocturnal benzo, I do have a small number of patients on long-term ambien or sonata

I've got quite a few who are on long term hypnotics - either BZD or Histamine blockers. I've inherited these from others and it's hard to break them of it. Slowly with education over the past few years, I've made some impact on them. Those with no willingness to change, they just continue forward.