Sleeping Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I need your help. I can't fall asleep at night time.
I took this medicine called Temazepam, but in the morning I felt like crap. So, does anyone take any sleeping pills that they think it is good???
Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Go back to your Dr. Temazepam is a good benzodiazepine for sleep, but is not that good for helping folks fall asleep. It is better for those who have a hard time staying asleep. Its actually never my first choice at all because I think there are better ones for staying asleep too.

There are other alternatives for your situation & some very new ones available which do not have the abuse potential the older ones do.

Go back & have a conversation with the dr. In the meantime....try to practice good sleep hygiene - hard as a student I know, but still doable & the best for your sleep cycle in the long run..

Good luck!

For something nonprescription, I have been taking melatonin and its been working wonders. I feel better in the morning, my dreams are vivid and overall I dont feel as tired. Its cheap you should pick some up.

jsol said:
For something nonprecription, I have been taking melatonin and its been working wonders. I feel better in the morning, my dreams are vivid and overall I dont feel as tired. Its cheap you should pick some up.

I was just about to mention melatonin. While you shouldn't take it on a regular basis, it can work wonders when you need it (along with giving you some crazy dreams a lot of hte time).

By all means, though, if you're going to try anything, make sure you try it well before you intend to actually use it the night before the exam or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
jsol said:
For something nonprecription, I have been taking melatonin and its been working wonders. I feel better in the morning, my dreams are vivid and overall I dont feel as tired. Its cheap you should pick some up.

I think melatonin would be for long term use. If you have trouble sleeping and want something to help asap - take Valerian Root pills. It's usually mixed with Passion Flower Root I think. It's herbal - I don't know how safe it is - but they claim to be non-addictive (that's a bonus!) and you don't feel like crap the next morning (like you would with other sleep aids). It's a natural sedative.

But here's some better advice - if you want to get good sleep, you really do need to get your muscles active. Go to the gym, go for a run, ride your bike, spend an entire day at the mall shopping, take a walking tour of your city, etc - tire yourself out, this usually works well.

xylem29 said:
But here's some better advice - if you want to get good sleep, you really do need to get your muscles active. Go to the gym, go for a run, ride your bike, spend an entire day at the mall shopping, take a walking tour of your city, etc - tire yourself out, this usually works well.

Definitely good advice. As a runner, I can tell you that I rarely have problems falling asleep when I had a good workout, or even just a nice long run.

Even more so than running, swimming makes me ridiculously tired at the end of the day.

I don't sleep well, either. I take Benadryl (yes the allergy medication) and it knocks me out cold. Keeps my sinuses happy, too.

doyourealize1 said:
I don't sleep well, either. I take Benadryl (yes the allergy medication) and it knocks me out cold. Keeps my sinuses happy, too.

actualy the active in benedryl is the same as over the counter sleep aids. Good to know if you have an allergic reaction and they are out of benedryl.

rogerwilco said:
Definitely good advice. As a runner, I can tell you that I rarely have problems falling asleep when I had a good workout, or even just a nice long run.

Even more so than running, swimming makes me ridiculously tired at the end of the day.

Oh yeah - swimming gives you a really nice feeling all over your entire body. That feeling of a nice full body workout - that'll do it.

That's even better, go swimming if you're really having sleeping issues.