Sleeping through lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clkimmey

Priapism Sufferer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've found that sitting in a lecture hall puts me to sleep. i was missing 20-30 minutes of each hour of lecture while passed out in my chair. nothing seemed to help (shifting position, caffeine, etc...). but, thanks to the internet, i can still listen to each lecture at home, and thanks to windows media player i can listen to an hour-long lecture in 40 minutes.

has anyone else had similar experiences? and am i really missing anything by staying home during lectures?

Members don't see this ad.

clkimmey said:
i've found that sitting in a lecture hall puts me to sleep. i was missing 20-30 minutes of each hour of lecture while passed out in my chair. nothing seemed to help (shifting position, caffeine, etc...). but, thanks to the internet, i can still listen to each lecture at home, and thanks to windows media player i can listen to an hour-long lecture in 40 minutes.

has anyone else had similar experiences? and am i really missing anything by staying home during lectures?

I started staying home from lectures because I noticed that I was not paying attention in the lecture room. At home, not only could I listen to the lectures whenever I felt like it, I could do them much more quickly by increasing the play speed on Windows Media Player. That situation worked out really well for me -- I only wish that I had started watching lectures that way sooner!

I have a different problem this year, now that I am doing my rotations. I have found that it is really easy for me to fall asleep during any type of lecture -- grand rounds (where half the audience is asleep anyway!), attending rounds, morning report, anything. I have never done this before. I am sure part of this is not getting much sleep, but does anyone have any recommendations for how I can curb this behavior? Attendings grade us, so I don't want to be falling asleep while they talk! :sleep:

Copius amounts of caffeine given qid PO.