George Isaac

Forthethrill
Oct 27, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
So there's a broken sign on a nursing station door, unfortunately made out of glass, and I sliced my finger right across it while trying to stop the door from closing.

I have severe anxiety and known to be a neurotic hypochondriac. I've been doing research about workplace exposure to bloodborne pathogens and I can't really find anything relating to my specific situation (i.e. non-fingerstick workplace injury). Can anyone help me out? I'm on the verge of freaking out!

Aug 31, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Just wrap the cut up with Cavi Wipes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Tenk

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I won't give you a direct answer but go read about how long these viruses are virulent outside the body on something like a piece of glass and you'll have your answer.

Reactions: 1 users

Druggernaut

SDN Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The odds of HIV transmission after a needle stick from a patient known to have the disease is about 1/300. You can extrapolate from that how you like, and talk to your employee health people as well.

BoardingDoc

Don't worry. I've got my towel.
10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This reminds me of the thread where the person was asking if they should get treated because a needle touched their skin while wearing a glove ... without puncturing the needle or the glove ... but they think they saw a scratch on a different part of their hand later that day.

Reactions: 4 users

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You need to amputate the arm really quickly, otherwise you turn into a walker.

Reactions: 3 users

George Isaac

Forthethrill
Oct 27, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
LOL! I was seriously concerned about HCV. I found several articles and studies that found HCV may remain on a surface outside of a host for six weeks at room temp. But, I guess gotta wait and see what happens :/ Thanks for replies though!

shoal007

5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2013
plus.google.com
Sorry about all the snarky comments. But we cannot provide medical advice without a doctor patient relationship. Please see employee health and or your doctor.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

gro2001

SOCMOB
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
the desert
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So there's a broken sign on a nursing station door, unfortunately made out of glass, and I sliced my finger right across it while trying to stop the door from closing.

I have severe anxiety and known to be a neurotic hypochondriac. I've been doing research about workplace exposure to bloodborne pathogens and I can't really find anything relating to my specific situation (i.e. non-fingerstick workplace injury). Can anyone help me out? I'm on the verge of freaking out!

As others have said, we can't provide medical advice.

However, I do just want to chime in and say that you need to do a few things other than seek medical care:

1) Talk to your supervisor about the event and make sure an incident report is filled out about the event. If you are a resident, your supervisor might not know about the proper procedures (because physicians are typically clueless about this kind of stuff), so ask the ED nursing director how to get this done.

2) Even if you seek care elsewhere, make sure to also go to the employee health clinic and follow their instructions.

3) If the dangerous sign has not been removed yet, reach out to the head of facilities management and tell them about the incident. They should remove or fix the sign so that it's no longer dangerous.

No matter how minor, this is a workplace injury and should be treated as such.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads