sloan kettering summer fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acepoint

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with sloan kettering summer fellowship program. if you have can you please share. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Another one really interested to know more about the fellowship from previous participants!!!

yeah, i'm curious as well. does anyone know how competitive it is to get in? i know they say there are a few hundred applicants for the 25-30 spots, but i dunno if that means 200 or 800. there are two projects i'm really interested in. i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

also, do you guys remember when they said we'd hear about being selected or not? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an e-mail saying that I had been chosen last Monday. I think they're sending out e-mails to their first-choice candidates through this week. Good luck!

I got an e-mail saying that I had been chosen last Monday. I think they're sending out e-mails to their first-choice candidates through this week. Good luck!

oh wow, congrats! that makes me nervous now. best of luck to everyone.

Wow, congrats! Now I'm nervous as well. I really wanted to participate in either 2 of the 3 labs that I applied for.

Good luck to you Medstylee (and to me :D )!

yea i got an acceptance earlier today, but it is very weird that i cannot talk to the PI directly or even get his email! I'm wondering about the program because of that. Did the PI even choose me or was it the program that did. Any help would be awesome and experiences with the program and various PIs.

yea i got an acceptance earlier today, but it is very weird that i cannot talk to the PI directly or even get his email! I'm wondering about the program because of that. Did the PI even choose me or was it the program that did. Any help would be awesome and experiences with the program and various PIs.

hey acepoint, congrats to you too! you can probably do a pubmed search for your p.i. and find his/her e-mail address listed as the primary contact on the abstract.

I don't know much about it, but I read about one of their summer projects. Something about filling bones with a proprietary matrix--something like making bone Twinkies. I guess they're looking for alternate ways to replace voided bone following cancer without amputating.

Cool!

I'm waiting on the magic email too. Good luck to whoever applied and congratz to whoever got in.

there were some very cool projects

bump...anyone actually do this fellowship last year?

bump.. I'd like to hear feedback from those who participated.

Bumpin' it.

So, has anyone heard anything for this year's cycle?

I was there last summer. Really a great place with nice people, but I guess it depends on that lab you're in. My lab had ppl in and out for a quick chat all the time, so it was pretty fun, and you really got a chance to learn a lot.

rejections are out. dang :(

by email? you didn't get in? sorry to hear...

We sincerely regret that we are unable to offer you a place in the 2008 Summer Fellowship Program at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. We received over 450 applications for 40 fellowship positions. Your application was reviewed by the faculty sponsors of the projects you listed on your application. Each faculty sponsor had his or her own criteria for selecting a candidate for their project. This year, the level of accomplishment among applicants was exceptionally high. Unfortunately, we were unable to offer fellowship positions to many well qualified applicants such as you.

Please consider coming to MSKCC for our visiting student medical elective program during your last year of medical school. We are able to accommodate many more students in this program than in our summer fellowship program. Information about the program is available at: www.mskcc.org/electiveprogram.

We appreciate your interest in our summer program, and offer you our very best wishes for every success as you pursue your educational and professional goals.

just reiterating the plea for past experiences. i got the acceptance email on 3/4 and my packet came in the mail today... looking forward to a great summer :) anything that's not school is great in my book. but i'd very much like to hear about past experiences.

:pAnyone go to the Sloan-Kettering Summer Fellowship this year?

What are they looking for in their participants? I really would love to go, but Im from a medical school in the south, and it seems that programs in the north (especially NY) tend to accept people from near the area. Am I wrong in this assumption?

What about the 5500 stipend- is that for the individual or for a research project? Can you survive off of that much in NY for the summer?

Thanks for any replies!