SLOE required for AF EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marinehrnt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year AF HPSP student interested in EM. Just curious if the process is like the civilian world requiring 2 SLOE's? Not really sure where to find this info so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the term SLOE or SIOE. Are those recommendation letters?

SLOE is a "standard letter of evalution" that must be obtained during an EM rotation at a hospital that has an EM residency and written by an EM doc in the department (at least this is my understanding). 2 SLOE's are required for civilian EM residency but can't find if its required for military or not. SIOE was a type-o, fixed it on the original post.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year AF HPSP student interested in EM. Just curious if the process is like the civilian world requiring 2 SLOE's? Not really sure where to find this info so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The AirForce is pretty specific in the documents they want, and how/when they want them. The forms required last year were...

1. DoD two-page application for GME (DPANE Form 4117)
2. Curriculum vitae (CV)
3. Two personal letters of recommendation: One letter must be from a civilian or military physician in the department of your first choice of residency
4. Personal essay
5. Second choice form
6. Weight statement (Please ensure statement is signed and dated by a certifying official)
7. Statement of understanding
8. Education summary

So, the question is can you use a SLOE to fulfill #3. Well, a really good one could be used for the civilian letter. The military physician letter ought to be something from the PD/APD from one of the military EM residency programs and they will put together the kind of letter they feel is appropriate.

The military physician letter ought to be something from the PD/APD from one of the military EM residency programs and they will put together the kind of letter they feel is appropriate.

I would disagree on the "ought to be" part. The PD/APD is going to fill out an interview grading sheet that gets submitted to MODS when you interview with them. Having a letter from them would simply be duplicative and not nearly as good as having a strong LOR from someone you worked closely with. I have also heard of some PD's who decline writing letters for this reason.

I would disagree on the "ought to be" part. The PD/APD is going to fill out an interview grading sheet that gets submitted to MODS when you interview with them. Having a letter from them would simply be duplicative and not nearly as good as having a strong LOR from someone you worked closely with. I have also heard of some PD's who decline writing letters for this reason.

I stand corrected.
(well, I'm sitting at the moment, but you get the idea).

Thanks for the info everyone, its much appreciated.