SLORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strongman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many SLOR should I get for the ERAS. I will have already 2 SLOR by then end of this month after I meet with 2 EM faculty I've worked with. But I am rotating at 2 other programs (top choices...Boston U and Harvard) in the next 2 mos of July and Aug. Should I get these 2 SLORs in addition also or should I wait not get one of my previous SLORs.
OR...am I able to request the full total (4) and only send 3.

Members don't see this ad.

Get all the SLORs and then pick the best of the bunch. You should request as many as you can because of the delays in getting them back.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Strongman
I was wondering how many SLOR should I get for the ERAS. I will have already 2 SLOR by then end of this month after I meet with 2 EM faculty I've worked with. But I am rotating at 2 other programs (top choices...Boston U and Harvard) in the next 2 mos of July and Aug. Should I get these 2 SLORs in addition also or should I wait not get one of my previous SLORs.
OR...am I able to request the full total (4) and only send 3.

You should get as many as possible into ERAS (there is no penalty) and do your damndest to find out how "good" they are. By a secretary flowers or something. If all else fails, stagger your em letters to your applied programs (ie, program A gets LOR 1, B gets LOR 2) so the letters don't go to all programs. That way, a bad letter does not screw you at all programs. Don't trust face-to-face conversations. I was given exremely positive in person feedback and given a lukewarm letter.

PS: Which Harvard? There are two, BI and Brigham & Women's. Be wary of the "big names" in EM, as many of the big names for internal medicine, etc, are NOT big names for EM. Of course, it sounds like you just want to stay in the Boston area, which is perfectly fine reasoning.

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
I am rotating through Beth Isreal, a 3 year program. I am looking forward to both rotations. I definitelty would like to "move back" to Boston with my wife. We both have family and friends there.

While I am at it...as anyone heard anything positive or negative about the 2 programs...reputation, exposure, training.
thanks for the advice!:)

a question about letters of rec, do they all have to be slors or can they be just regular letters? can all of them be regular or does one need to have at least one slor? if doing rotations in em related fields like trauma surgery, can one get an em slor from them or is it only from an em rotation?
thanks

My understanding is that SLORs can come from EM faculty only. I think trauma would be a good letter to get in addition to at least one SLOR. These are just observations from what I have read or heard.

Hi everyone.

An EP asked me if I wanted him to fill out the SLOR and staple a lengthy recommendation on letterhead to the it or just use the 4 inch space below the signature line to comment. What's better or expected? Will ERAS except a 3 page rec from one author?

Should he fill out the form by hand or have the secretary type out the SLOR?

Thanks for the info guys.

P.S. I appreciate all the EM interns taking time out of their busy schedules to still answer questions on this board. This site rocks. To the Match 2004 applicants: Hopefully we can help each other out on the board like those guys did last year-good luck to everybody on Step2 !

P.P.S. Anyone know if Annette ever received an EM spot?

P.P.P.S. ERAS wants to know status of ACLS/PALS certification. Since a lot of students invariably let their certs lapse, do people own up on the app and say they aren't certified or do they fib?

If a letter writer offers to write a statement in addition to the SLOR, take it! While PDs like the objective information on the SLOR, it is also helpful to have a narrative evaluation. At almost all of my interviews, people would quote from the additional letter and say how impressed they were by a comment or ask a follow-up question.

It is always better to type official forms.

Be honest about your certifications. Almost all programs that I am aware of provide new interns with ACLS, ATLS, and PALS at some point in the training. Plus, they pay for you to take these courses.

I believe Annette got a prelim medicine position at one of the Akron programs.