Slow and fast speed hand piece

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toluca1978

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much does it cost to buy a slow speed and fast speed hand piece.

Members don't see this ad.

It probably depends on what you want out of it. Slow speeds can have many settings, features (straight cone, torque grip, lock grip or whatever it is called), torque converters, etc.

High speeds can have fiber optic lights, varying rpm (80K-300K rpm) and all sorts of stuff.

Check out some dental supply stores like Henry Schein etc.

High Speed:
Standard ~$150
Fiber Optic $350- $1,100 (without light source)

Low Speed:
Motor only ~$900-1,100
Attachments ~$500 (sheath and angle)
Attachments-straight- ~$300
Package deals ~$1,700 (midwest)

Members don't see this ad :)
you may be able to get a used/refurbished one on ebay for less $

I'd like to know where you can get a decent high-speed for $150...

At a cost of $139.99 you want it to be decent as well. The Master standard handpiece is available from Schein. It usually comes with a 6-month warranty, but in this case only, this could be extended to an unlimited lifetime warranty. The adage "you get what you pay for" may or may not apply.

please tell me you're not a predent trying to practice before d-school :laugh:

If you're deciding on a handpiece make sure you go with an electric one, they are quieter and have more torque so they don't "bog" down at all. If you can afford it get the fiber optic option as well...this is what we use at UNLV and it's great

When you enter school and pay all that $10K+ for instruments etc., does this include a handpiece? Please excuse my terminology, b/c I don't really know much about the instruments etc. Also, if the school uses air driven handpieces, can you still buy and use an electric, or is the "plumbing" completely different and not compatible?

When you enter school and pay all that $10K+ for instruments etc., does this include a handpiece? Please excuse my terminology, b/c I don't really know much about the instruments etc. Also, if the school uses air driven handpieces, can you still buy and use an electric, or is the "plumbing" completely different and not compatible?

All the instruments that you will need will be in the kits that you are required to purchase. The high/low speed handpieces are usually needed during the first year. Some dental schools want all their students to have the same equipment and supplies needed for a particular class. You might want to wait until you are further along in your dental education before you venture into buying equipment that you may or may not need and may or may not like. Practicing dentist have drawers full of toys they bought and never used. The "plumbing" may be also be different and incompatible.

unless every unit you will sit down at has a convertor box for electric, be careful just buying electrics willy-nilly. they are quiet, maintain a higher torque than air-drivens, but they cannot be attatched to standard 5 or 6 hole tubing straight-up. fiber-optics are money either way.

stick with whatever comes in your kits as a first year. that will be enough to learn with and figure out what you like.

Consider getting a friction grip head for your slow speed contrangle. It will accept hi speed burs so you won't need to buy an extra set of CA/latch ones for slow speed.

It is great for the novice who is just starting to learn tooth preps. It allows tactile sensation and gives more control. It is also useful for finishing margins, walls and flares and removing caries. The drawback is that a slow speed h/p is much heavier than a hi speed. And sometimes the vibrations can be a bit annoying.

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

shouldnt you have a friction grip slow speed contrangle for caries removal and some compsite finishing anyway? thats how i roll at least...