Slow schools vs silent rejections/holds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaronVonZ

The -$200,000 man
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,
Could you give me some idea of which schools from the following list are "slow schools"? I've been complete everywhere for about 2 months and hearing lots of silence, wondering which of my applications are likely still on the table and which are probably already in the trash bin. Sorry to be a little neurotic :D

Thanks!

The list:
Johns Hopkins
U of Pennsylvania
Uni. Of Michigan
Stanford
Case Western (pre-interview hold... total kiss of death here?)
Emory
U of Rochester
U of Minnesota
New York U
Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

It's too early to consider no response a silent rejection. You would only know a silent rejection if one of those schools is normally extremely fast. Normal time might be no response until Januaryish if you are going to be a later interviewee.

That said, I think Emory was fairly slow in interview invites. Don't remember about any of the others.

I'm wondering the same thing myself.. I guess a good way to tell is to look at the threads and see how late interviews are being scheduled. If the school is already booked all the way until jan even feb, your chances probably aren't too high.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMich tends to be on the faster side from what I've seen. Stanford is really slow. Like, I still haven't gotten a secondary from them and they don't screen...(emailed them friday going "Please, can I ahve my secondary? The deadlines' in 2 weeks :D)

I got a rejected from cornell MSTP a week after I was complete but they may be quicker with that cause they only have 2 mstp interview days (late october/early november).

Emory doesn't give out any rejections until March.

it's not over until you get the rejection. seriously. that said:

Michigan has already sent out 525/660 interview invites for the cycle, so the clock is ticking there. Rochester will probably do a huge purge sometime before Thanksgiving. Your chances of getting off the Case hold are probably about 10%. Minnesota only interviews like 6% of their OOS pool, if that's your status there.

Penn, Stanford, Emory, Hopkins, Cornell are all too soon to tell.

NYU, i have no idea.

NYU, i have no idea.

nyu has been interviewing, but no acceptances given yet (haven't heard anything about pre-interview rejections either). it's still too early to think you've been given the cold shoulder at most schools.

Thank you everyone for your input - happy to hear I just might have another interview or two before the game is done. I was getting pretty nervous because I received most of my interviews over a month ago and since then its just been frigid silence... I guess I'll toss it up to coincidence and keep my fingers crossed :D

Based on my sister's experience, Stanford is notoriously slow.