Slow Since MPSE Release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just my personal experience but it has been really slow as far as invites since the mpse release. It seems like only the bigger name schools have been sending out invites.

Does that mean the other "mid-tier" schools are done sending out invites?

Does anyone know from personal experience or friends when the latest invites are sent out without you personally calling or emailing the school?

I know this is school specific... I'm just wondering if anybody gets invites in late December ot January? I haven't heard back from a few schools so I don't know if they are just waiting to see who else is interviewing and will give men an invite later or if they have rejected me but just haven't gotten around to sending an email.

Members don't see this ad.

ya, its been ssuuuper slow for me since mspe. 1 invite and 2 rejections since. Its nerve racking

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP!
Would love to know also!
I haven't heard anything since the MSPE except some rejections.
MY DO schools PD said that she thinks most interview spots are already taken up and she said not to get my hopes up about hearing from anywhere else. Unless it gets to be later in the interview season and there are some cancellations.

What is the latest anyone has heard back? Thanks

Ugh, ditto to the above. I was getting several interviews a week throughout all of October, but since mspe, I'm still at Zero. Plus rejections at places that prob just screened me out based on my step one. This is depressing.

totally agree. it makes scheduling that much harder if you're trying to clump interviews by cities. they should release the MSPE earlier.

BUMP!
Would love to know also!
I haven't heard anything since the MSPE except some rejections.
MY DO schools PD said that she thinks most interview spots are already taken up and she said not to get my hopes up about hearing from anywhere else. Unless it gets to be later in the interview season and there are some cancellations.

What is the latest anyone has heard back? Thanks

Oh please tell me interview invites aren't finalized. I need some hope as well. Slow as molasses since mode!

Who else is actively inviting now? : Cornell, Mount Sinai, Rush, UCDavis ( have they even started??), maybe OHSU (new PD), MGH/BWH (will start soon), BU...is that it? Most of the midwest programs are full I bet, and California screwed us all this week.

Who else is actively inviting now? : Cornell, Mount Sinai, Rush, UCDavis ( have they even started??), maybe OHSU (new PD), MGH/BWH (will start soon), BU...is that it? Most of the midwest programs are full I bet, and California screwed us all this week.

UPenn is still inviting

is it really worth it to go on these interviews that are given this late? the programs will most likely rank high the applicants they invited in the beginning of the season because they are evidently more qualified. so if we go on these late-given interviews, we will be ranked low and won't match there anyway even if we rank them high. so what's the point?

is it really worth it to go on these interviews that are given this late? the programs will most likely rank high the applicants they invited in the beginning of the season because they are evidently more qualified. so if we go on these late-given interviews, we will be ranked low and won't match there anyway even if we rank them high. so what's the point?

I feel the same way. They say anyone invited is on an equal footing. Bullsh*t. If I get invites in late Dec/Jan, I would probably only go to the ones I was very interested in.

Have you guys heard of people getting invites in late Dec or January without them calling or emailing the program to " express interest". In other words does anyone get an invite just out of the blue so late in the season without personally contacting the program themselves?

I feel the same way. They say anyone invited is on an equal footing. Bullsh*t. If I get invites in late Dec/Jan, I would probably only go to the ones I was very interested in.

I know it's not likely, but I've heard of people that got initial rejections... expressed interest in being waitlisted instead... and got interviews in late dec/january because a spot opened up and they matched at a top tier place like that.

again, definitely a long-shot, but don't count yourself out just because you didn't make the first or second cut for interview offers.

I doubt they'd grant an interview if you weren't at least minimally qualified for their program. You'll just have to win them over during the interview day. Just because they've reviewed our documents doesn't mean they know us. They don't actually know us until they meet us.

I agree that I don't plan to accept late invites unless I'm really interested in the program.

I don't think you should brush off a late invite just because you think you are lower in their interest list...
It depends on what kind of candidates are being offered interviews/who is calling back to schedule interviews/who hasn't called to make an appointment/who has cancelled.

I was offered an interview very early in the season and I just called a few days ago to schedule an interview as I had an opening in my schedule. They said their schedule was full now. So that means even though they offered me an interview, they wanted to ensure a match and invited more than they could offer interviews.

So perhaps a lot of people end up withdrawing/not making interview appointments/cancel interviews at certain programs. These programs will offer more people interviews so that they can fill up their interview spots.

But as I mentioned in another post, my PD who claims to be well connected says that most programs schedules are full at this point. But I didn't ask her if people would start cancelling interviews soon and perhaps more openings would occur.

Not sure if my ramblings above made any sense. Writing this after a 24 hr. neurosurg call!

Interviews are definitely still getting sent out ... got Mayo, Davis, UCLA, UWash, etc. since MSPE went out 11/1. Although interview dates are definitely getting scarce. Davis and UCLA only had a handful of dates open when I called to schedule (and made a point of letting you know that), and UWash is completely full at this point.

But I also have the same question as a lot of other people. Does getting an interview invite later in the cycle usually mean that the program isn't as interested in you? While going to a big, well-known academic center is an attractive idea, I'm a little weary about getting my hopes up. Maybe I should just focus on getting into a solid community program with decent fellowship placement that offered me an interview weeks ago ...