Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
from the ministry of information
Status
Attending Physician
So I started a community MH part-time job at a place that's known for being busy and working people. My schedule just opened for me to see patients this week, and it's been super slow. I saw 2 patients Monday, 3 patients yesterday and don't have anyone scheduled today. I think part of it is that I'm stepping into jobs that have been vacant for a long time, so the position has been routed around.

I'm assuming (hoping) things will pick up, and me being me, I'm started to think ahead about what if it turns out there really isn't enough need for me, which could mean me being asked to work at sites with a much worse commute for me (my commute is awesome right now after a year of hell commutes!). Yes, I'm neurotic.

It's interesting that there's such a shortage of psychiatrists, including with this one employer, and yet there's all this inefficiency in connecting psychiatrists and patients.

Mar 24, 2014
Rural Area Medical Facilty
Status
Psychologist
So I started a community MH part-time job at a place that's known for being busy and working people. My schedule just opened for me to see patients this week, and it's been super slow. I saw 2 patients Monday, 3 patients yesterday and don't have anyone scheduled today. I think part of it is that I'm stepping into jobs that have been vacant for a long time, so the position has been routed around.

I'm assuming (hoping) things will pick up, and me being me, I'm started to think ahead about what if it turns out there really isn't enough need for me, which could mean me being asked to work at sites with a much worse commute for me (my commute is awesome right now after a year of hell commutes!). Yes, I'm neurotic.

It's interesting that there's such a shortage of psychiatrists, including with this one employer, and yet there's all this inefficiency in connecting psychiatrists and patients.
Make sure to post back in a couple of months, if you have the time. They trickle in at first, then it's a flood. It took me about six months to fill my schedule. This summer has been a bit slow for me, but that just means I'm only booked out for a month as opposed to two. I get a bit neurotic when my schedule starts shrinking, get a few no-shows in a row and then the paranoia begins to creep in. If I did a thought record on those days, it would be a bit embarrassing. :D I can almost hear Albert Ellis's voice chiding me for the irrational catastrophizing.

OP
Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
from the ministry of information
Status
Attending Physician
Make sure to post back in a couple of months, if you have the time. They trickle in at first, then it's a flood. It took me about six months to fill my schedule. This summer has been a bit slow for me, but that just means I'm only booked out for a month as opposed to two. I get a bit neurotic when my schedule starts shrinking, get a few no-shows in a row and then the paranoia begins to creep in. If I did a thought record on those days, it would be a bit embarrassing. :D I can almost hear Albert Ellis's voice chiding me for the irrational catastrophizing.
Glad to hear I'm not alone in the catastrophizing about slow days. :) The efficiency thing is going to be interesting when it gets busy. My training didn't include a lot of super busy outpatient clinics, which I think is good because it gave us flexibility, but it also means I've never had to see 14 patients in a day in a clinic.

Reactions: smalltownpsych

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
...Same boat, sort of.

I'm getting a lot of referrals from the inpatient unit who don't tend to show up or the previously lost to followup patients wishing to re-establish care. I think I've had a 40% show rate this week including only seeing two 90792s in the last two days (waiting on my last patient to show up as we speak. Not holding my breath).

I think it's just the nature of being the new guy. It'll fill up in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: Doctor Bagel

heyjack70

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status
Are you still inpatient now with added part time?

Shikima

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
BTW, if it's any consolation, my schedule has sucked all summer long with many recent cancellations and no shows. It's summertime. Don't worry, once school starts the histronics and drama will return and you'll be busy.

milesed

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
"Winter is coming"

Relax and get other stuff done, because we always get flooded as they days shorten.

Reactions: OldPsychDoc

xlithiumx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
Status
Yeah, I've got issues. Looking ahead, it looks like my schedule is starting to fill in, and I'll miss these slow days.
Cherish these days. 2 years into a traditional combined inpatient/outpatient practice in a relative shortage area and I'm so mega swamped.

Reactions: Doctor Bagel

mojetter

15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2004
Columbia, MD
Status
Attending Physician
...when the winter hits the days get colder and shorter and all the SAD and holiday blues kick in youll be plenty busy...lol

vistaril

5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One day this week in my clinic job: Eight 90792s and thirteen 99214s/90833s

And I still left at 345 after arriving at 910

vistaril

5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wow, that's insane. How do you document for that many visits in that short of a period of time?
Well it's 6 and a half hours....that seems like a good chunk of time. At this particular office We use an emr that, while annoying, dies a pretty good job of making sure we can document to that extent.

But doing the math- probably averaged 18 mins each on the 99214/90833s....so that's right at 4 hours. A practice more geared towards maximizing dollars would pass on the 90833(or cheat the time) to fit in more 99214s, but oh well. Which left 3 hrs(I probably undershot by 30 mins) for the intakes....thinking about the intakes individually, 2 were straightforward ADHD and NO other concerns or pathology and recent testing done and sent over. Those took almost no time. Another was a SEVERELY neurologically impaired adult who was nonverbal and the Only thing we can target is agitation and stuff. Again, very little time. The documentation with the right emr for all three of those visits is pretty much going to do itself.

One of the intakes was sort of a mess time wise, but the other 3-4 weren't.

I know people a lot slower, and a lot faster. Obviously your speed is going to be limited if you can bill for 90833s(can't in many settings), unless you want to forge times....which I would never do.