SLOW!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The web application is an excellent idea, but it is SO SLOW! It seems like it takes just as long to load a page as it does to fill one out. And I'm on a DSL line!

Members don't see this ad.

I've spent more time filling out the section of the application on some of these things than I spent doing the things I'm writing about :)

Jamier2, how in-depth are you getting with your activities? Are we supposed to simply say what we did or give a synopsis of it? For example, if you did paid research, should you just state that you were employeed by X Department between dates Y and Z, or should you start getting into what kind of research you did?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not kidding with the speed! I'm glad to hear it's not because I'm on a phone line. We need 2 computers for 2 applicants in this household. Have fun everyone...

Well, you are only allowed a total of 510 characters in which to describe, in whatever detail you wish, your activity. I am trying to work up "mini" essays about each item I'm entering so that I can say the most in this limited space. I wouldn't write anything that is entered in the drop down boxes, for lack of space.

Guess it is not just my computer! I agree that the application is terribly slow! Every single time you click on something it takes a full minute or more........

later

Warning: A very frustrated and venting post follows... WHAT THE HELL TAKES AMCAS SO FREAKIN' LONG???!!! VENTING VENTING VENTING. Maybe they should take more of our $$$ just to make it go EXTRA slow, if it's possible to go any slower! :mad:

Not only that, but did you notice that you cannot fill out the application without using Netscape 4.75 or IE 5.0? The IE 5.0 requirement is fine, but Netscape released 4.75 only six months to a year ago. This means that many people using Netscape will have to upgrade JUST TO FILL OUT THE APPLICATION. The application is too slow, has too much javascript on it, and is prone to too many errors.

I assume that they knew how many people were going to be using up bandwidth tonight, especially considering all of the delays. I can't understand how they couldn't have prepared for an influx of users?

They're probably using Windows NT servers :rolleyes:

Or win 3.1 - HA! - by the way, I'm clocking an average of 1 min 30 s just to go from one page to another...although my current page is taking whopping 4 min 15 s and counting. Patience everyone...maybe we should enter our applications in shifts?

ok, how about I go 1st, then everyone else? huh? Sound like a deal? Great! :)

I think for the math calculations involved they programmed the computer to use slide-rules , but that's not slow enough, so they went to the abicuss.

How ridiculous. I don't understand why you have to fill it out online as opposed to downloading the program, filling it out, and THEN sending it. Ugh! I'm not doing it this year, but will be next year. Good luck, you guys!

I can't believe we have to enter everything individually to their server. It would be much simpler to work on it on my computer and later upload the completed application to them. Who knows why they chose this format?

Okay, I must vent also.........AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I just waited 5 freakin' minutes to get into the login page with my password and such. This will take forever!! I'm going to be doing mine at 5:00a.m. from now on. This is horribly slow.

sorry, just venting.

later

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•I can't believe we have to enter everything individually to their server. It would be much simpler to work on it on my computer and later upload the completed application to them. Who knows why they chose this format?•

Technically, you are right as long as everybody didnt try to upload their applications at the same time.

There is one advantage to the web based app; it does have error detecting ability at each stage of the process, which might be helpful.

The web app is a good idea, but they should have increased their webservers ability to deal with the huge influx of data.

Clearly they failed to do that.

I personally think they should have two options: 1) use the AMCAS-E software, or 2) use the web-based app.

You think its bad now, wait until the certify date on June 18th. You aint seen nothing yet. They are already having serious slowdowns and June 18th will probably see alot more concentrated traffic.

I'm thinking of waiting until June 20th or so to submit my app. This way, if their system does crash, my app won't be lost in cyberspace somewhere. Alot depends on how they programmed the javascript. Hopefully if you submit your app on June 18th and it doesnt go through, you can simply recover the app and try to send it again later.

Besides, filing two days later does not put you at a significant disadvantage.

This whole AAMC AMCAS application just has me thinking in acronyms -- such as SNAFU, FUBAR, & ^%#%%@#%@&&!!!!! :mad: Oh, I guess that last one isn't an acronym. :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Baylor, I agree. 2 days won't put you at a disadvantage, and now their site is down for "unscheduled maintenance" until 9 am Thursday(expected, lol). I can't even get stressed any more. We're all in the same boat. Just ride the wave, I guess...

Originally posted by ATC2MD:
•We're all in the same boat. Just ride the wave, I guess...•

That's the only comfort I have.... Everyone else is in this with me....