SLU HOUSING... PLS ADVISE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SizzleDizz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this should be in the housing section but I get the feeling most people don't look there...

Anyway, I'm looking for housing near SLU SOM and I came accross UNIVERSITY PARK APARTMENTS

Apartments.com Information on Complex

The prices looked great (almost too good ) and I was wondering what those of you familiar with the area and the school feel about it???

Any other complexes I should be considering? How about the PHICHI house??

Input would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...congrats on getting in!!! I've just sent in a secondary letter of intent, and I'm now hoping and praying that SLU accepts me off the waitlist!! **sigh**

As for housing, I've been searching too (you know, just in case) Here's a link that might help you...I think the page hasn't been updated in over a year, but it's a start!

<a href="http://medschool.slu.edu/orientation/housing/index.html" target="_blank">http://medschool.slu.edu/orientation/housing/index.html</a>

I didn't find it as helpful...but I believe you may. I have no car :( , that's why, so i would have to rely on the bus that goes down Grand Blvd (comes every 6 min, pretty convenient I believe) But if I did have a car, I'd take the med students' advice...

Meanwhile, I'm looking around the neighborhoods by Grand South Grand, so I can walk to a bus stop. The people in those 'hoods (I think) are very proud of the area (I've seen their websites)...There's a lot of diversity (compared to most of St. Louis) and is a nice hub for restaurants, shops, etc.

Good Luck in the search!!! Hopefully, I'll be right by you in the Class of 2006!!! :D

Thanks Cafepinay,

I wish you the best in getting off the waitlist; SLU has always had a history of being one of the most active waitlists and judging from the lack of movement up until now,I expect an avalanche soon...

I actually have looked at the housing advisory guide and I was turned off for the same reasons you were, all the places were TOO far from the school. Call me old school, but I hate the idea of driving to school (even though I'm taking a car) - it makes education seem too much like a job. The biggest mistake I made during my interviews was not taking a good look around the neighborhood (my excuse being there was snow on the ground!). Anyway, are there some nice neighborhoods VERY close to the school?

That's why I was hoping to get some feedback on UNIVERSITY PARK (which claims to be an 1/8 mile away from the SOM). I don't need to be in the greatest neighborhood but would prefer not going to bed everynight worried about stray bullets...

So if anybody can suggest a reasonably safe location near the SOM, I would be very greatfull!! BTW, if anyone knows, how is PHICHI house neighborhood (looks nice on the web)...

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll be joining you in the fall (barring any new waitlist notices) and i've been looking too. i'm actually going to drive to school...been working for a number of years, and i hate the feeling to living right next to where i work/go to school. the area right around the school, imo, seemed really ghetto and i heard that most students don't actually live right around campus. most live some driving distance away, and that's what i plan on doing.

after looking at prices, i'm shocked at how cheap places are. having lived in sf for 3 years and paying 1000 for a studio, i can't wait to pay half that amount!

If any of you don't want to be pressured into finding a place in St. Louis, let me know. I'm subleasing my first apartment which has a lease that ends July 31st...enough time for whoever subleases it to drive around and see other places.

As far as my old place is, its pretty dope, safe, and wish I didn't have to move..as my dad says, "like a lil' resort". Its minutes via the 44 highway to SLU med. Personal message me w/ur email, and I'll email you the flyer I created.

Peace,
wyldstyle

Sizzle, I am not sure about the complex that you mentioned, but the prices are not necessarily indicative of a bad place. I live about 15 minutes (4 miles) from SLU and pay 550 for a large 2 bedroom duplex with a garage. My neighbor is moving from a 2 bedroom and pays around $375. The apartment is nice, but not as nice as mine. The neighborhood is residential, quiet with lots of families. This suits me fine since I am 28 and married. If I were 22 again, I might want to live near campus to relive my undergrad years.

Apartment complexes are fine, but there are plenty of duplex and 4-family one bedroom residences to rent that are nearby and safe. You probably need a car, though. I bus goes by my house to SLU every 30 minutes, but stops around 11:00pm.

PM me if I can help more. St. Louis is a little simple (slightly boring) but very cheap and not so bad.

It is true that prices do not normally reflect the quality of apartment, but this is not the case with University Park. I talked to Heather in the admissions office and she said that living on Grand is not a good idea. She suggested Soulard, Central West End, and certain parts of Central Downtown. I hope this helps.

My wife and I just began looking at places on the internet near SLU, and found some really nice older refurbished apartments by typing in "SLU St. Louis apartments" in at google. Wood floors and dishwashers for under $500! Can't beat that.

I starting medical school in Texas in couple months, so I'm in a different boat than you are, but I grew up in St. Louis so I thought I'd tell you little bit about what was said from other posters. Central West End and Soulard are great for finding a good bar--e.g. Balaban's, McGurks, etc.--but both are somewhat high in crime and necessarily very clean. Central West End can be safe, but it is sort of a crapshoot with North St. Louis just across Delmar Blvd. If I were you all I would look at Brentwood Forest Apartments in Richmonds (near the Galleria). I've had several friends that went to SLU SOM stay there over the years and been quite happy. It's about a ten minute car ride down I-64. Also, look into Clayton (the official subsection of Clayton for apartment housing is called the Moorlands). It's a great area with a lot of young professionals. It's very safe and clean. It's a bit more in price but I think it is worth the money. Good luck.

Just wanted to comment how cheap aparmtents are. My new place in Soulard is 2 miles from school, and my share of rent in a 3 bedroom apartment is $200!! :clap: My old apartment was about 1100sq ft at least w/many amenities and only rented out for $790, 2bd, 1.5 bath..etc. I'm going to sublease the master bedroom to anyone who's interested in temporary housing till July 31st. The other room is subleased to a laid back undergrad senior.

Check out this link. <a href="http://www.mstl.org/" target="_blank">Metropolis St. Louis, Click Here.</a> Go to "relocating". They tend to have some decent leads. My advice and most of the rest of my classmates as a past MSI's is to live as close to school as possible. The best way is to get in to town early and actually drive around to see places.

Any questions, just pm me! :)

good luck,
wyldstyle