SLU: How long for response?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuanRafia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how long and in what manner does the response from SLU come after the interview? Any other info on the admissions committee process?

Members don't see this ad.

2-4 weeks post-interview. I interviewed two weeks ago, so I'm expecting a decision soon. I was told that after the interview, your entire file gets reviewed. The AdComm wants to make sure you don't have any "red flags" (gpa lower than 3.5, mcat lower than 30 (or 8 on any section), no research, no clinical experience, no volunteer experience are all considered red flags). If you don't have any red flags in your application, and you didn't bomb your interview, then you're in.

sdnstud said:
2-4 weeks post-interview. I interviewed two weeks ago, so I'm expecting a decision soon. I was told that after the interview, your entire file gets reviewed. The AdComm wants to make sure you don't have any "red flags" (gpa lower than 3.5, mcat lower than 30 (or 8 on any section), no research, no clinical experience, no volunteer experience are all considered red flags). If you don't have any red flags in your application, and you didn't bomb your interview, then you're in.

Sweet, to-the-point response; thanks. My GPA is 3.2 and 28 mcat. I wonder if that means an automatic rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I interviewed with a SLU representative in a regional interview a month ago and I still haven't heard a single thing. Does anyone know when FINAL decisions regarding acceptances, rejections, and/or waitlists are made? How do they notify you of things: email/snail mail/phone? Thanks for any input.

sdnstud said:

that's strange....why would they bring you in to interview if they already know what they are looking for? i'm going there next week with a 31 R (10, 10, 11) and 3.43 GPA from penn...should i bail out? did they make it seem like a red flag would kill you? thanks!

sdnstud said:

Are these "red flags" you mention things they actually told you or things you're assuming. A red flag is usually something that will keep you out, so why would they waste their time interviewing people with <3.5 gpa and <30 MCATs if they know they're not going to accept them?

I interviewed there in early January and heard back in about three weeks. I got in. I didn't hear about any red flags when I was there, and I had an N on my MCAT writing section - I think that could be considered a red flag.

8-) said:
Are these "red flags" you mention things they actually told you or things you're assuming. A red flag is usually something that will keep you out, so why would they waste their time interviewing people with <3.5 gpa and <30 MCATs if they know they're not going to accept them?

Yeah if GPA <3.5 is a red flag, I have a bigtime red flag. Why would they bother interviewing someone like me if that was a legitimate red flag?

From what I have heard from students and administrators at SLU, they like non-traditional candidates. I think that although numbers do matter, they tend to look at other factors to make up for lower numbers. I think that if are invited to an interview with less than average stats, the interview is your time to give them a good reason to accept you.

CaliforniaBear said:
From what I have heard from students and administrators at SLU, they like non-traditional candidates. I think that although numbers do matter, they tend to look at other factors to make up for lower numbers. I think that if are invited to an interview with less than average stats, the interview is your time to give them a good reason to accept you.

Thanks! That makes much sense to me.!