SLU Official Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pewl said:
I did get an email saying that they were gonna send out financial aid offers within the next few days. That was sent last week. =P

yeah i got that. i also called yesterday and they said they might go out that day...which they did not. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

strawberryfield said:
They have an awesome match list! 4 in ophtho, 9 in Anesthesia!

hmmm only 2 rad onc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Like many of you will be doing, I came from a different state to attend med school at SLU. I remember renting my first apartment via internet pictures, and telephone calls. I was roped into a 12 month lease in a Central West End apartment that I regretted when I finally got to town. No heat for the first two months of winter, garage door came down on my car. A maintenance man locked me out of my apartment and it took two hours to get someone to unlock the door while I stood outside in bare feet! Ahhh...the memories...

Now, I am here to help. I know some very good landlords with one bedroom apartments in nice, safe locations that I would gladly refer you to. There is a $600 one bedroom (washer/dryer included), two $550 one bedrooms (coin washer/dryer in basement) , and a $700 two bedroom (washer/dryer included) which would be great for a couple or someone who wants and can afford more space (since the second bedroom is more like an office).

The landlords are awesome guys and these are NOT in large complexes. Large complexes=UGH! Do not recommend! The two one bedrooms renting for $550 are VERY close to the med school and he offers one month free rent with your 12 month lease.

There are photos if you want to see. Just contact me and I will point you in the right direction. I am doing this because these are good landlords (which is sometimes hard to come by). A responsible medical student would be an ideal renter for them, and they are ideal managers.

Good luck to all. Pm, or reply if interested. These places are available now.

Pewl said:
Dammit! why is there like only like two who got into Rad Onc?!

Mark my words, I will come back back to CA for Rad Onc. =P

Hey Pewl,

I think Rad Onc is just not one that called to many in the Class of 2006. I never really hear anyone say they are interested in that field. But, like you, it is one of my interests.

Can you imagine Psychiatry?? Did you see how many students went that route?? They were some of the top students of the class! Don't fret over what people chose. Many of the students chose residencies that you would never have expected. That's what is so good about this career. We can choose to do whatever we really want to and not be wholly guided by our grades and board scores.

You can do anything you want....even at SLU. A good friend of mine matched at Mass Gen for anesthesia last year.

I've always wondered, when you apply to residencies do you only apply to one specialty? What if there is a location that is more important to you than the actual residency itself? Can you apply to one residency in one particular area, and a different type of residency elsewhere.

Lemme give you an example:
I'm very close with the radiation oncology department at ucla because I spent most of my time there in grad school. I'd love to go there. I'm interested in oncology in general and radiation oncology is right up my alley after grad school, but if I don't get into one of my top choices for rad onc residency is it ok to apply to say... internal medicine residencies at the same time (with the hope of doing a medical oncology fellowship later on?)

I'd be interested in some of these places. Can you send me the info and pictures. Probably the 2 bedroom but I need to find a roommate first. If anyone else is looking for a roommate let me know.

med2008 said:
Hey everyone,

Like many of you will be doing, I came from a different state to attend med school at SLU. I remember renting my first apartment via internet pictures, and telephone calls. I was roped into a 12 month lease in a Central West End apartment that I regretted when I finally got to town. No heat for the first two months of winter, garage door came down on my car. A maintenance man locked me out of my apartment and it took two hours to get someone to unlock the door while I stood outside in bare feet! Ahhh...the memories...

Now, I am here to help. I know some very good landlords with one bedroom apartments in nice, safe locations that I would gladly refer you to. There is a $600 one bedroom (washer/dryer included), two $550 one bedrooms (coin washer/dryer in basement) , and a $700 two bedroom (washer/dryer included) which would be great for a couple or someone who wants and can afford more space (since the second bedroom is more like an office).

The landlords are awesome guys and these are NOT in large complexes. Large complexes=UGH! Do not recommend! The two one bedrooms renting for $550 are VERY close to the med school and he offers one month free rent with your 12 month lease.

There are photos if you want to see. Just contact me and I will point you in the right direction. I am doing this because these are good landlords (which is sometimes hard to come by). A responsible medical student would be an ideal renter for them, and they are ideal managers.

Good luck to all. Pm, or reply if interested. These places are available now.

I'm living out near the Central West End. There are some nice places there. It's a 4-5 mile drive but since St. Louis traffic is non-existent compared to LA traffic, it shouldn't be a problem.

I just want to respond to a few things I read in this thread:

1. In regards to Lindell blvd, there are decent apts that cater to undergrads right there, but you're paying more to be close to the undergrad campus, which is stupid. Anywhere else on or north of lindell is a bad idea.

2. The Match list is important, but I would concentrate more on WHERE people are going rather than WHAT specialty they chose. Matching 9 into anesthesia, etc. just reflects the level of student interest in that field, not how competitive the school is. Rad Onc is a very small field where almost nobody wants to do it....2 out of 150 is still alot. All that being said, we always have good match stats....I personally got something like 26 interviews for 30 applications for general surgery, which you may know is getting super-competitive, and I got my #1 pick. But, I am also really, really, really, really good-looking :D .

3. If you really want to come to SLU, great, but I can tell you that the educational debt is intimidating (I have $230K), so definitely consider a state school if it doesn't have any major deficits.

4. I don't think that SLU students are any more stressed out than other med students. Some people handle the workload fine, others are bogged down by it. It's an intense curriculum, but if you're smart enough to get in to the school, you should be able to deal with it. Exercise is very cathartic, and SLU's gym is usuallly packed with med students.

IMPORTANT ADVICE:

1. Buy The Club (TM) for your car. Never leave anything of value in your car. This applies to anywhere you could possibly park in the city of St. Louis.

2. Be careful when choosing apartments/houses, because the city is very sectionalized, and what may appear to be a good area could be one block away from some bad stuff. Be specifically careful if trying to live really close to the school, because there's alot of bad areas there.

Thanks for the info. Does SLU have any sort of dress code? What is the general attire in class? Thanks.

paceac said:
Thanks for the info. Does SLU have any sort of dress code? What is the general attire in class? Thanks.

Your best looking "No Fat Chicks" T-shirt will do.

No dress code, so I'd stick with comfy.

SLUser11 said:
Your best looking "No Fat Chicks" T-shirt will do.

No dress code, so I'd stick with comfy.

It's funny you should mention that shirt because I actually have that shirt with a picture of Peter Griffin sporting a "No Fat Chicks" T-shirt. :laugh:

Pewl said:
I'm living out near the Central West End. There are some nice places there. It's a 4-5 mile drive but since St. Louis traffic is non-existent compared to LA traffic, it shouldn't be a problem.

just wait till they shut down the highway that runs right by CWE...they are planning on doing it soon. St. Louis has a poor highway system as it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luke816 said:
just wait till they shut down the highway that runs right by CWE...they are planning on doing it soon. St. Louis has a poor highway system as it is.

I have no doubt it could get bad, but I have a hard time believing it'll ever be anything like the 405, 10, or 110 in LA. =P

Pewl said:
I have no doubt it could get bad, but I have a hard time believing it'll ever be anything like the 405, 10, or 110 in LA. =P

and I doubt you'd even need to get on 40 to get to school. that's what the backroads are for. hopefully Chouteau (Show-Tow, since we tend to butcher the French here..) will be open by then and you can do Vandeventer to Chouteau to Grand. Otherwise- Forest Park Pkwy to Grand.

oh and the Club's not a bad idea. I love the CWE (my office is there) but it attracts all kinds.

jlw9698 said:
and I doubt you'd even need to get on 40 to get to school. that's what the backroads are for. hopefully Chouteau (Show-Tow, since we tend to butcher the French here..) will be open by then and you can do Vandeventer to Chouteau to Grand. Otherwise- Forest Park Pkwy to Grand.

oh and the Club's not a bad idea. I love the CWE (my office is there) but it attracts all kinds.

Which club are you referring to, again?

Pewl said:
Which club are you referring to, again?

this one:

0340643_160_SC_2ef3.jpg

CWE is a great place to live, just be safety-conscious.

Actually, PM me and tell me where you're going to be- I'll tell you what's around.

Ah, I have one of those clubs, but it's white! I'm gonna feel like kinda a fool with my eclipse with the loud exhaust and turbo. It's common as hell here in LA but people in St. Louis may think otherwise. I have indoor garage parking at my apt though, which I hope will help. Is there indoor parking at SLU too? And how far is the parking place from the classroom?

Hi Folks.

I'll be attending SLU and have posted on this thread before, so please don't slam me for posting this here - it's relevant.

If you are moving to the St. Louis area and are in need of a bed, I have a full sized mattress and box spring for sale. It's a Spring Air mattress and it's barely been used. We bought it for our guest room and realized that it's just a little too large for the room. I live in West County St. Louis. Please PM me for pricing if you are interested. There's no deadline to sell, but it will be first come first serve. Looking forward to meeting you all at orientation.

Thanks.

Chanjurban

Where do most of you guys study? I figure I'll be studying in my living room mostly, unless we do some group studying in which case will probably be elsewhere.

So orientation's coming up...you guys ready to start the craziness?! When's everyone coming into town?

~soon to be MSI @ SLU!

AloLove said:
So orientation's coming up...you guys ready to start the craziness?! When's everyone coming into town?

~soon to be MSI @ SLU!

End of July.

AloLove said:

~soon to be MSI @ SLU!

Definitely looking forward to the craziness! Not sure when I'll be in town yet, probably a few days before white coat ceremony!

Ugh.. I got the required 10 year DPT booster - actually, I think only D and T are required, but my doc and I decided to get the DPT because of the whooping cough outbreak they had this past year in the midwest. Anyway, the shot itself was fine - painless actually, but about 2 hours later my arm started aching - for 2 days!

She also decided to get my cholesterol screened for the physical. So I've been fasting for about 10 hours - 2 more hours and I get to have my blood drawn - YAY :(

Oh the blood, sweat and tears we go through to get into medical school... :p

FYI - I'm already here in St. Louis (seeing how I've lived here for 3 years) - looking forward to meeting you all. I'll be the one that's older than most of you, but looks like the young child prodigy :)

I'll be getting in a day or two before the ceremony as well! I'm really nervous but super excited at the same time! I feel pretty prepared for the move...this is strange...shouldn't I be doing a million things right now? Have any of you gone out and bought any special stuff for schoo? I'm thinking of getting a new computer, but I want to see what they recommend first-I'll let you know what they say! And Chanjurban, by the time you read this, I hope that they are done poking and prodding you and that you have a full tummy :)

AloLove said:
I'll be getting in a day or two before the ceremony as well! I'm really nervous but super excited at the same time! I feel pretty prepared for the move...this is strange...shouldn't I be doing a million things right now? Have any of you gone out and bought any special stuff for schoo? I'm thinking of getting a new computer, but I want to see what they recommend first-I'll let you know what they say! And Chanjurban, by the time you read this, I hope that they are done poking and prodding you and that you have a full tummy :)

Yes! Smoothie King works wonders sometimes... My poor little 2 year old was starting to get hungry too by the time we were done. It didn't help. You should have heard him - it was like a chant - "Milk. Cheerios. Cookies. Crackers. Apple Juice." He didn't take it too well when I actually tried to get him to eat vegetables instead.
My special purchase was a really nice desk/library set from Sauder furniture. I spent 2 days assembling it from the pieces and another day organizing it.

We are stoked to have you guys coming out. I am on the orientation committee and am helping with white coat and we are excited for you guys. The first week (orientation) is sweet! If anybody is here in STL and is bored waiting for classes to start we should organize a dinner or something chat about the school. A group of us first years get together weekly to watch movies/TV shows ect so you could def. come along if you wanted. PM with any questions and good luck!

AloLove said:

ALWAYS build your own computer! I hate how companies pre-load all that stupid software into prebuilt computers. I also don't trust the parts that they use. I always handpick my stuff.

I'm gonna be in town about a week and a half before the white coat thing. I look forward to seeing you guys this school year!

So... Any of you guys in our incoming class desis?

Before anyone has to ask: Desi = Indian American.

chanjurban said:
So... Any of you guys in our incoming class desis?

Before anyone has to ask: Desi = Indian American.

sorry, if I had to categorize myself by an ethnic nickname I guess I'd fit under "Azn" but since I tend to want to run people over who use those three letters, I'll settle with just being an East-Asian American. =D

Pewl said:
ALWAYS build your own computer! I hate how companies pre-load all that stupid software into prebuilt computers. I also don't trust the parts that they use. I always handpick my stuff.

I'm gonna be in town about a week and a half before the white coat thing. I look forward to seeing you guys this school year!

Build my own computer? You mean me, physically putting a machine together? You have far too much faith in my abilities :)! I too am looking forward to the white coat ceremony, orientation week and school starting--bring it on! Are you guys rockin' the MO river trip on saturday? I opted not to do this one...I hope I don't miss out on too much! So excited to see you guys!

AloLove said:
Build my own computer? You mean me, physically putting a machine together? You have far too much faith in my abilities :)! I too am looking forward to the white coat ceremony, orientation week and school starting--bring it on! Are you guys rockin' the MO river trip on saturday? I opted not to do this one...I hope I don't miss out on too much! So excited to see you guys!

Building a computer isn't tough, the hardest part is finding the proper compatible parts. The rest is like a puzzle! Much less complicated than the human body!

I haven't decided whether or not to go on the river trip. Do we have to notify them first or something?

I'm going on the river trip. I'm doing basically all the activities except the golf tournament. Miniature golf is about the extent of my golfing experience. Yes, you do have to notify them. There was a sheet that was sent with the orientation packet listing the activities. SLU requested we send that sheet back notifying notifying them of what we would be participating in.

Pewl said:
Building a computer isn't tough, the hardest part is finding the proper compatible parts.

Or, knowing what the proper compatible parts are! lol! You can teach one day! :)

paceac said:
I'm going on the river trip. I'm doing basically all the activities except the golf tournament. Miniature golf is about the extent of my golfing experience. Yes, you do have to notify them. There was a sheet that was sent with the orientation packet listing the activities. SLU requested we send that sheet back notifying notifying them of what we would be participating in.

Hey, I have a question about this "float trip on the Meramec River" event on the Saturday of orientation week. Is this like a whitewater rafting trip where we get life jackets and go rafting down a river, or is this a boat ride where we sit on a boat from 8am to 6pm? =P

I didn't go on the float trip last year, but it sounds like you float slowly down a river while consuming large amounts of alcoholic beverages and getting burned to a crisp. (Not my cup of tea, so I didn't go).

Hmm... doesn't sound like my cup of tea either. Looks like I'm going to be the designated paddler.

hey guys, I live in st. louis but will be moving (VERY SOON). I have some stuff left for sale. here's the list:

MOVING SALE- EVERYTHING MUST GO BY JULY 31!!

2 side tables (~2'x2' top) cherry finish 15 each, 25 for the pair.

Loveseat w/dark red canvas cover 40

small tower shelf (~1'Lx1'Lx3'H) cherry finish
great for bedside table or to hold CD/DVD/Books 15

2 dining chairs (cherry finish with cushioned seat) 12 each or 20 for the pair

3 drawer dresser (oak finish? it's light colored) 20

Ironing board 5

card table (fold up) 10

Brand new samsung laser printer (ML-1740) 50

Ancient Microwave (but still zaps as well as ever) 10 or 5 with purchase over $25

dishes (roughly 8 dinner plates, 6 bowls, 6 small plates) 10

ALL PRICES NEGOTIABLE, MUST PICK UP BEFORE JULY 31, CASH OR CHECK. PM for pictures and additional info.

I'll purchase 2lbs. of your finest crystal meth. But it'd better be cut with Drano or nothing doing here, buddy! :D

Can someone tell me a cell phone carrier that gets great reception in the St. Louis area? I currently have Verizon but it doesnt' seem to be very good, or is it just my apt?

Also, what's a good bank around here?

Pewl said:
Also, what's a good bank around here?

I've never had any problems with Cingular, anywhere in and around the city.

As for banks, there are plenty of perfectly good ones. Why not just go with a large name bank like Regions... They have a free checking account, but so do many others. Your best bet is probably to drive around, find a few banks in your area, and see if they offer any account options that seem important to you.