1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

SLU or Missouri / Mizzou as Out of State?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jinterpol, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Jinterpol

7+ Year Member

I already have a SLU acceptance, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go the Mizzou interview as an out of stater (I grew up there, and my parents are still there). I do realize that out-of-state tuition at MU makes one grind their teeth, but SLU comes with a hefty price tag as well. My primary motive for considering SLU is that the students there seem to like the curriculum so much. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dedikated2liftn

Dedikated2liftn Bodybuilder
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not to sound like an ass, but from the title of your thread it sounds as though you assume you will get into Mizzou. Don't get me wrong, you may get in, but coming an as an OOS applicant for a state school as competitive as Mizzou will make acceptance difficult (especially with such a late interview). Furthermore, they admit only 96 people into their incoming class, which is way lower than SLU. The reason why I say all of this stuff is because I'm in state w/ 30 MCAT and 3.9 GPA and have yet to be accepted there (fingers crossed for March). Anywho, just my two cents.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mave

mave Chill out, man.
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    You can get residency in MO after a year. I'd say that if you think you'd be interested in the school, like, REALLY interested, then you should interview. If you don't like PBL, then it's not going to be the school for you. It is a really small class, which divides a lot of people over whether they like it or not. But, it's got a pretty fabulous schedule... class for 8 weeks, test on week 9, break on week 10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Kodiak

Kodiak Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Mizzou is VERY VERY VERY difficult to get into OOS, but if you feel like its someplace you'd rather go over SLU then I'd go ahead and take the interview. What could it hurt?

BTW- When is your interview for Mizzou scheduled? Just wondering. I'm in state and I have to think that the interview season is about over.

5. OP
    OP
    Jinterpol

7+ Year Member

I'm both a realist and informed by the MSAR, which is often wrong, that about 4/44 OOS applicants get accepted there. I went to an interview at Kansas that was only for OOS, and the interviewed applicants were either strongly affiliated with the state or were superior applicants with loose ties. I fall into the former with Mizzou, but my stats aren't going to hurt me.

To answer your question, my interview is tomorrow (21st), and this is presumably the last date to interview. I sent out my app on the day of the postmark deadline. I had a hard time getting over this 9 month grudge I held against them last year, for denying me in state status even though I wasn't in state anywhere else AND rejecting me. But, the only negative thing (supposedly) the adcom said about my app was that I had too much work experience in the last two years and not enough volunteer work. I thought this to be strange, since I work in a hospital but don't see patients, but have since made the necessary changes.

It would be tough for me to get down there, b/c I'm all travelled out from going to mardi gras in StL, and 6.5 hours one-way isn't so inviting in the face of a 1/11 chance at acceptance. But, I do think I'd be happy at Missouri and would be happy with PBL...I just wanted to get some other input either way.

6. Kodiak

Kodiak Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I think I'd take the interview then. The odds aren't all that good but you never know. If you get accepted you'll have two schools to choose from. That's my 2 cents :)

I believe Mizzou sends out its decisions via e-mail sometime next week..... :scared:

7. OP
    OP
    Jinterpol

7+ Year Member

I'm guessing this means my chances just went from 1/11 to about 1/30.
    I just called adcom. Today is the last interview day. They said kids who interview on the last day can still get in even though they do excercise the right to have rolling admissions. I think they quantify everyone and create a list of acceptances, which is presumably small.

And didn't they send out letters after March 15th last year? All of my college friends got in when they sent out mass letters except for one guy.

And there's nothing to be scared about. It's not that big of a deal if you don't get in. True, it breaks you down your self-esteem and possibly your identity for awhile, but in the end it will make you a more humble person and can teach you to appreciate the opportunities you have even more. The failures you will, by necessity, experience as a physician will tower over those you may have had as an undergrad.

8. Julius Erving

Julius Erving aka, The Docta!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Their Fall 2005 stats for OOSers are: 76 interviewed, 30 accepted, 10 enrolled.

So if you were offered an interview at Mizzou, it seems your chances of acceptance increase to about 40%, not 9%, or whatever fraction you were using.

Good Luck!

9. green453

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got the following from an email response to my question about when Mizzou would make its final decisions:

We will finish interviewing the third week of February, and the final Admissions Committee meeting should be Thursday, February 22, 2007. After that meeting, we will accept the rest of the class, assign wait list numbers, and deny admission to the others who interviewed. It will probably take me a few days to get those together. So, you should hear something from us by the end of the month.

10. kyley3k

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I interviewed at both, OOS from IL, got into SLU but not Mizzou. Honestly though, even if I get accepted at Mizzou I think I'll head to SLU. Although, cost is a factor, and after the first year its cheaper. Also, if you don't like PBL then don't go to Mizzou.