SLU or Tufts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saint Louis Univ or Tufts

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to make a "joke" about your decision being made easier by the two schools merging to form "SLUTS" but I won't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to make a "joke" about your decision being made easier by the two schools merging to form "SLUTS" but I won't.

I wanted to give your post a :laugh: for being so witty, but I won't.

Instead, here's a dang I failed. never mind.

Saint Louis Univ or Tufts

SLU's mission statement turned me off, and I really like that Tufts has a strong nutrition program as well. So, I'd chose Tufts.

Take-home-story: do your research and then make a personal decision. They are both great schools.

The major difference between the two is location.

I'm biased (full disclosure: I go to SLU), but I would pick St. Louis. I really enjoy it, and the classes aren't all too bad because of the block schedule. It's also going completely Pass/Fail next year.

I'm biased (full disclosure: I go to SLU), but I would pick St. Louis. I really enjoy it, and the classes aren't all too bad because of the block schedule. It's also going completely Pass/Fail next year.

What is block schedule?

also there going completely p/f for both years? any insight on SLU would be appreciated

What's Tufts grading system like? Any wise people in the know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't Tufts a very highly ranked school? (top 25) or something?

Isn't Tufts a very highly ranked school? (top 25) or something?

No. The undergrad is in the top 25. The med school isn't that great. Not on any top lists I've ever seen (not that that means anything).

No. The undergrad is in the top 25. The med school isn't that great. Not on any top lists I've ever seen (not that that means anything).

what are you talking about? They are 46 in the USNews rankings for research and 41 for primary care.

That means they are still top 50 even though not top 25. But then again schools that used to be ranked much higher have fallen down quite a few ranks and schools that were down below have moved up a few ranks. Rankings change from year to year except for harvard and hopkins.

Both are really good schools....I would pick Tufts just b/c I would rather be in Boston than Missouri. If you want to be really picky, you can look at their match list (if one is offered) and see if there is a substantial number of people going to a state resisdency you prefer. I know that matters a lot to some people, b/c they don't want to leave their state. And I myself would prefer to find residency spot here in Cali. So....if that matters look into that. Talk to matriculants of both schools here on sdn as well, and ask them pros and cons of each school.

Awesome! Thanks! How's Tufts?

i love it here. the faculty/administration is great. everyone in the class is completely non-competitive, friendly, and outgoing...students are always posting study guides and hints online to share with everyone else. boston is beautiful, but the cost of living isn't cheap. (neither is the tuition obviously)

what are you talking about? They are 46 in the USNews rankings for research and 41 for primary care.

That means they are still top 50 even though not top 25. But then again schools that used to be ranked much higher have fallen down quite a few ranks and schools that were down below have moved up a few ranks. Rankings change from year to year except for harvard and hopkins.

Yeah, top 50 really is nowhere near as impressive as top 25 undergrad though, considering the sample sizes. I wasn't trying to put Tufts down, I just meant to say that the med school is not as good relatively speaking as the undergrad. It's still an excellent school, as is pretty much every medical school in the country. BTW, the USNews rankings are meaningless, but I'm sure you've heard that before.

There is plenty of great data behind those rankings, however.

SLU
Research assessment score by residency directors (5.0 highest) 3.1
Primary-care assessment score by residency directors 3.1
Average indebtedness for 2006 graduates who incurred medical school debt $156,722

TUFTS
Research assessment score by residency directors (5.0 highest) 3.7
Primary-care assessment score by residency directors 3.2
Average indebtedness for 2006 graduates who incurred medical school debt $171,686

I would also wait to make your decision after the second-look weekends. Probably the biggest part of your happiness in medical school is going to be your fellow classmates. Go back and visit without the pressure of interviews and really try to get the feel for the schools. See where you think you 'fit' better.

Come to Tufts with me. They have cookies.

Yeah, top 50 really is nowhere near as impressive as top 25 undergrad though, considering the sample sizes. I wasn't trying to put Tufts down, I just meant to say that the med school is not as good relatively speaking as the undergrad. It's still an excellent school, as is pretty much every medical school in the country. BTW, the USNews rankings are meaningless, but I'm sure you've heard that before.

I acknowledged that in the end of the my post that rankings vary so are probably not that important. However, my point was that since you guys want to talk about top this and top that, if we are going to put a ranking to it we might as well acknowledge that if there are nearly 130 medical schools, Tufts is still high up there compared to nearly 75-80 other schools or so.

But like you said, rankings are meaningless one way or another.