1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

SLU versus MCV

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by punky, Apr 28, 2002.

1. punky

punky Junior Member

I am in a dilemma. I have been accepted to both schools: Saint Louis University and Medical College of Virginia. I don't live in Missouri or Virginia, so both schools will cost me about the same price. Please, please, if you know anything about these schools (both positive and negative), help me out and post it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. punky

punky Junior Member

Someone please reply! Someone must know the pros and cons of Saint Louis Univ and the Medical College of Virginia.

Thanks a million.

4. there is another thread on here which tells some of the good things about SLU, and I really don't have anything new to add to that. IMHO, both schools are very similar and are good places to study medicine. I visited St. Louis for my interview last year and have driven through Richmond being from the East Coast (was put on hold for interview at MCV/VCU last year), and I think St. Louis is a much nicer city and more oriented toward young people than Richmond. However, Richmond is not too far from Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, and DC, as well as UVA. I think you will need a car at both places in order to get around. It really depends on where you want to practice medicine; if you want to practice on the East Coast (particularly in the South) then VCU probably has a slight edge for residency placement, while if you want to stay in the midwest or northwest SLU probably is better. Also, visit the schools again if you have time and see where you feel the most comfortable. good luck with your decision!

Kate
    Tufts M'05

5. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior
    7+ Year Member

From what I know (close to nothing) about both schools, I'd say go to SLU. I was at WashU and got to speak with a few SLU students; and I thought they were great. The general perception in St Louis is that SLU grads know their sh!t. The WashU-SLU student relationship also seemed to be very cordial. They invite each other to parties and volunteer jointly in the community. Take this suggestion with lots of salt as I know practically nothing about MCV.

6. punky

punky Junior Member

Please, everyone, reply! Post your opinion please! Thanks.

7. dukeblue01

dukeblue01 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am currently considering MCV for medical school, and I liked it a lot. I was impressed with the facilities and especially the hospital when I visited. The students were friendly and cooperative, and the area was urban, but I have been told (by personal friend) that living in the FAN is great and lots of fun. Excellent clinical experience! Basic sciences are same, but the physiology teacher there is nationally renowned. I do not know anything about SLU. But I am in-state for VA, so this is my cheapest option. Good luck.

8. HanSolo

HanSolo Member
    7+ Year Member

hi punky,
    i was considering these 2 choices only a few months ago. I was interviewed and accepted to both SLU and MCV (ended up declining both). Personally, I think the facilities and teaching hospital at MCV are bigger (~ 2X) and probably better than SLU Hosp. The atmosphere of friendliness and cooperation among students and admin. is the same for both, very friendly. As for location, true, St Louis is bigger and has more happenings than Richmond, but Richmond is not far from the Beach, 1+hr drive from DC, and I think Virginia is a lot more livable than Missourie (no offence intended, just a personal preference). Plus, MCV is a state school, so even if you are out-of-stater, there is a small chance you could establish residency and benefit from cheap tuition, while no such thing with SLU. But, in the end I think you should go where you would feel most happy :)

9. punky

punky Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Would anyone please have more comments? The more the better! You guys are awesome.

10. I interviewed at SLU, and I thought that the staff and students there were very friendly and helpful. It did seem to that the faculty genuinely cared about the students and that the administration really listened to the students. I did not get to see the hospital becuase the tour guide said that firstyears do not do any work there anyway - so that may be a potential drawback as there are other schools where this is not the case. Also, St. Louis seems to be a decent city, and would be a good place to live - it is a heck of a lot warmer than my Minnesota! Just my one and a half cents.

11. punky

punky Junior Member

Thank you everyone! Please, please send your suggestions or comments if you have one! Thanks in advance.

12. lake show

lake show Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i interviewed at albany and i really enjoyed my stay there and was impressed with the program. first of all, i think albany has the better reputation as a school (for whatever that's worth).

i also went to undergrad at nearby cornell, so i know what it is to live in the boonies and the cold. i really have no problem with it...and with all the studying we'll be doing, i'm sure most of us won't have THAT much time to party. however, it did seem like there were some cool bars that my friend (who goes there now) showed me and there are other young people from nearby colleges that i met. the weather is cold, and if you don't like snow, then it's not the right place, but i tolerate it! and i grew up from LA!

as far as the program, i was really impressed. my friend was saying how most of the students are pretty much satisfied with the curriculum and the doctors. he said that the first two years seemed like how most med schools might be, but he raved about the rotation experience. he might have had some awesome doctors to work with, but that's his story. anyways, i'm on the waitlist so i'm just gonna wait and see.

13. Doctor Wyldstyle

Doctor Wyldstyle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It actually depends. SLU actually has electives you can do during the second semester. If you choose one in a certain specialty or field of interest, and its at SLU hospital, then you will be there at least once a week when electives come around. Others may have theirs at other hospitals. As for me, I'm go to elementary schools and teach an anti-smoking lecture for my elective.

There's many clinical opportunites to engage in that are run by the students themselves that may be more worthwhile with current 1st year medical student knowledge to get involved with. Check em' out.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dr. Nick Riviera:
    <strong>I interviewed at SLU, and I thought that the staff and students there were very friendly and helpful. It did seem to that the faculty genuinely cared about the students and that the administration really listened to the students. I did not get to see the hospital becuase the tour guide said that firstyears do not do any work there anyway - so that may be a potential drawback as there are other schools where this is not the case. Also, St. Louis seems to be a decent city, and would be a good place to live - it is a heck of a lot warmer than my Minnesota! Just my one and a half cents.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

14. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by corleone:
    <strong>i interviewed at albany and i really enjoyed my stay there and was impressed with the program. first of all, i think albany has the better reputation as a school (for whatever that's worth).
    </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Irrelevant to topic at hand :p . Just giving you a hard time. I know it's an error and you thought one of the schools is Albany.

15. Thanks a lot wyldstyle2000, this is very helpful and encouraging. I really liked SLU and am glad to hear about the second semester electives that can be taken. I guess that my tour guide was a little misinformed. I will take a closer look at the electives; this really excites me about the school again and moves them up on my list. thanks

16. lake show

lake show Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

haha. whoops!