SLU vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hesmeru

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on these schools, negative and positive aspects? Which one would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think strongly about SLU because of a couple of things. The tuition is chaper and i hear that it has a better reputation with more opportunities than NYMC. Plus NYMC is in the middle of no-where .. for two years.. and i heard that not all the students get to go to nycity for the last two years. well good luck? are you chhosing for this coming year? or for the future?

Hey!
I don't know anything about SLU, I don't even know what it stands for:mad:) But I know alot about NYMC, which is the school was going to go to. IMO, I think NYMC is a great school. I am from NY, so it was close to my family. It is in the Westchester county area which is about 20 min north of NY. Westchester is a nice clean area that is not urban like NYC. If you like an area with trees and enjoy running (outdoor stuff) this is a very good area. The only problem is that you kinda need a car to get around. Anyway, let me start with the good points and then the bad. These are just my opinion, so don't take them as gospel or anything like that.

Good

1. The Science building (including anatomy lab and library) is quite new and thus very nice. Actually, the anatomy lab is by far the nicest I have seen. Almost wish anatomy was longer just to work in the lab:mad:)

2. The dorms are actually nice, I liked it as I stayed the night there the day before my interview. It is right across the street so you can roll out of bed to go to class.

3. Much of the classes is geared to do well on the boards. Typically classes of med school, nothing different or special.

4. The student body seemed very friendly and the people I stayed with were very nice and friendly.

5. The school has like a 99%-100% pass rate for boards. But that is really not a big issue as the pass rate at med schools in general is very high anyway.

6. NYMC has many hospitals you rotate through, so your clinical exp will be very good and their matches are good as well.

Bad

1. Cost...I did not receive any aid, so I would bascially have to borrow everything. 31k a year in tuition alone. Most private schools are about the same anyway.

2. You kinda need a car as I mentioned before. But you can usually find someone who has one to get a ride off. If you are from a big city like Boston or NY, the mass transit here is nothing to write home about.

3. As I mentioned about rank, many people often refer to NYMC as low tier...to this day I still have no idea why. I am not a fan of ranking (med school i med school.). If going to a ranked school is important to you, then NYMC might not be for you. Rank aside, NYMC is a great school that has alot to offer and I would personally not pay heed to this low tier stuff.

4. If you like city life, this place is not for you. Although you can go to NYC via train, it is not convient as most trains are.

Well anyway, this is the what I could think off. If you have any questions, email me. Anyway, best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anything about SLU but the only aspect that I don't like about NYMC is its huge class size (200 students).

Originally posted by Trowa
Hey!
I don't know anything about SLU, I don't even know what it stands for:mad:)

SLU=St. Louis University
:cool:

You might want to post the name of SLU as "Saint Louis University" instead of "St. Louis University".

The school seems to set this as the standard for correctly writing it out. Kinda weird, but yeah..that's how it is.

Good luck, peace.

St. Louis Univ Medical School = SLUMS
Welcome to the slums!
Stay away from downtown area - St Louis has one of the most run-down downtowns I've ever seen.
Soulard is a good option if you want cheap rent and fun living. Look up BSB Development.
Central West End if you want to be "hip" and pay high rent for poorly managed/conditioned units.

Hmm...I tend to disagree. While definitely not the most exciting downtown area, its not the worst. Downtown is statistically one of the most safest neighborhoods in St. Louis city. Stay away from North St. Louis.

Had a few SLU med classmates who chose SLU over NYMC, but I'm sure NYMC is a good school.

I interviewed at both schools, waitlisted at both, accepted at SLU eventually. When I got into SLU, I planned to withdraw my application from all schools (NYMC included) except Tufts and Maryland because I was more impressed with SLU than NYMC. SLU has a better reputation, and just seemed more friendly and laid-back than NYMC. The match lists and USMLE II scores were high for SLU, while NYMC has an edge in preparing students for step I of the boards. The SLU hospital is also ranked in a number of internal medicine specialities. I eventually dropped SLU for Tufts, but would have been happy to go to SLU (or NYMC for that matter).

I interviewed at both - accepted at SLU and waitlisted at NYMC, but I decided to go somewhere else. I'm sure that they are both good places to be. However, the students at NYMC looked like they were worked to death. They spend more time in class than most schools and the students seemed to study a lot more. Personally, I did not like the mini-board exams that NYMC uses in there classes - I feel that this artificially increases their board scores.

hesmeru did you decide between the two?