Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

SLU vs Rush

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pewl, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just wondering, would you guys pick SLU or Rush?

Both have pretty good clinical training and both have great teaching hospitals affiliated with the school.

The following are the match lists for both schools this past year. They look comparable to me (but then I don't know too much about residencies).

Rush: http://www.rushu.rush.edu/news/match_appointments.pdf
    SLU: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2499941&postcount=140

Where would you guys pick and why? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

3. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Haha, why Rush? I'm looking for throught process and trains of thought here, people! =)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

5. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dammit, you're no help at all. You're like that one cigarette company guy in that episode of Family Guy that just stands there and says "SMOKE!" =P

6. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

HAHHA i loved that!

i honestly don't know much about rush aside from it's location SMOKE. (i did see uic). the only things i would have to say are what i didn't like about slu, but that might just be personal. SMOKE. if you liked slu, then go for it! they are both great schools, i don't think you'd lose out either way. SMOKE.

7. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What did you not like about SLU, just curious? The only thing that negatively impressed me was how disorganized the interview day was.

8. sdnstud

sdnstud 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I chose Rush over SLU last year (before I got off UCSD's waitlist)

Rush is located in the middle of Chicago's medical district, and it is only a short train ride from the heart of the city. Also, Rush has its own dorms, and SLU has no dorms. not many SLU students live close to campus because the school is located in a very bad area.

Cost:
    Both schools are expensive, but if you're eligible for financial aid, you're likely to receive more free money from Rush. Last year, I got a $12,000 scholarship offer from Rush vs. a $3000 scholarship offer from SLU (I know of at least 5 people from each school who got similar offers)

Both schools have similar reputation. Rush is more known for its clinical years, while SLU is more active than Rush in terms of research. If yoour goal is to conduct research, SLU is probably a better fit for you. If your goal is to become a good clinician, Rush is the place to be.

9. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm actually a big fan of Chicago. I grew up in the Midwest and I have a ton of friends who live there now.

10. Zymogen

Zymogen Sweet Like Bear Meat
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm from the midwest. SLU has a great regional reputation, in addition they are currently building a new research building. I agree with what most people have said concerning both schools. I think your biggest choice is St. Louis or Chicago.

St. Louis is pretty laid back. It has a lot of history, restaurants, bars etc. It's also a great sports town and the St. Louis Cardinals are just about to complete a brand new stadium! :thumbup:

Chicago is pretty awesome though...

11. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ugh I hate the cardinals and the rams..... come to think of it, I hate the bulls, bears, and cubs too. I think the White Sox are the only tolerable team in those two cities. I don't follow hockey too much so I don't really mind the Blues or Blackhawks. GO COLTS AND PACERS! =D

12. paceac

paceac paceac441
    5+ Year Member

flip a coin

13. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anyone else have feedback on SLU vs Rush?

14. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bah, you're all a bunch of Hoju's! (Homer Junior)

15. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anyone else have opinions on SLU or Rush?

16. DrThom

DrThom Thundercat
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you hate the cardinals, I would not go to St. Louis. The fans there are crazy about them. Haha, but at the same time, you hate the cubs.....hmm, looks like your screwed.

BTW, I'm from around STL if you have any questions about the town. I think its a great town.

17. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd just like some feedback from people either attending Rush or SLU or just people who have interviewed there.

18. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow, have so few people on snd interviewed at SLU and Rush??

19. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think this is what it comes down to. Both are great schools. I like Chicago better though. Just my $0.02. Still haven't heard from either school so I'm just the scum on the bottom of the pond picking up you scraps. Good luck. Good problem to have though. :thumbup: :horns:

20. Messerschmitts

Messerschmitts Mythic Dawn acolyte
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry man, I just don't have anything to contribute. I got into SLU, but I didn't interview for (or apply to, for that matter) Rush, so I can't really compare.

21. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm a big Chicago fan. I'd probably pick Rush over SLU on location alone... assuming that I get into Rush. Heh.

22. DrHuang

DrHuang SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i hope you get into rush

23. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anyone else here interview at Rush?