SLU vs. SGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotcurry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I got into two programs that im debating with at this point each with its adv. nd dadv. The first one is the 7-year accelerated med program with NJIT and St. George's University. Although its an international med school, I've heard that it was one of the best, and with this program i can still apply to other med schools based in the U.S. and still have .guaranteed admission to SGU. The other program is the 8-year program with St. Louis University, and it has a 98% chance of getting into their med school, but the disadvantage is that in addition to the extra year, the guarantee is taken away the second i apply to other med schools. Any input whatsoever is appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

do neither...go to a 4-year college and do well...then apply

hey guys,

I got into two programs that im debating with at this point each with its adv. nd dadv. The first one is the 7-year accelerated med program with NJIT and St. George's University. Although its an international med school, I've heard that it was one of the best, and with this program i can still apply to other med schools based in the U.S. and still have .guaranteed admission to SGU. The other program is the 8-year program with St. Louis University, and it has a 98% chance of getting into their med school, but the disadvantage is that in addition to the extra year, the guarantee is taken away the second i apply to other med schools. Any input whatsoever is appreciated.

Thanks

Do not go with the international med school one if you want to practice in the US. Not that you can't do it, but US grads get first shot at residency positions. SLU is a perfectly good school, though I agree with Falco that perhaps a better option is to do well in undergrad and then apply separately to med school as most people do.

Members don't see this ad :)
do neither...go to a 4-year college and do well...then apply

^Do this.

But honestly, use a carribean school as a last resort... if you've gone to college, applied to 4 year MD programs and failed. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE COMMIT TO A CARRIB SCHOOL this early in the game.

you're virtually guaranteed to get into SGU no matter what anyway, so why go to a linkage program

do not go international! most international medstudents (not all) end up in primary care, b/c the competition is so tough to get into other specialties as an IMG rather than a US grad. stay in the country, you will save yourself a lot of pain in the end.

also, a lot of these carribean schools have a "weed out" process. they may admit a lot of people, but the percentage of people that actually pass their boards and move onto residency is pretty startling. check out these sorts of info in the carribean forums before you sign the next X years of your life into such programs.

if you really want some sort of guarantee go to SLU. but if you're a strong applicant (good #, etc), going the "normal" route (ie 4 years college, apply, medschool) shouldn't be a problem. if you're smart enough to get into these linkage programs, you probably woulnd't have a problem going the normal route anyways.

If you want to go to SLU, get into the program. My opinion is that the application process for medical school is one of the most painful, humbling and unpredictable experiences. If you are happy to go to SLU and want to save yourself a whole lotta pain and suffering go for it. If you think that SLU might not be for you (high tuition/location/ect.) then just go to a good undergrad institution and do well. Also, I don't know if the SLU med scholars program is different now, but the guys who did it in my class had no minimum MCAT score requirement, so they just took it without any stress. I on the other hand studied my butt off for 6 months. No MCAT stress would be pretty sweet.

I got curious about my MCAT comments, so I looked it up...

"At the appropriate time, Medical Scholars are also required to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT); however, the score does not affect admission. Medical Scholars are expected to achieve their highest possible score on the MCAT. "

So you can get a 10 on the thing and still get in. That doesn't suck!

The med-scholar program is good if you can keep your grades up.

We have to maintain a 3.5 GPA throughout undergrad. We are then pretty much accepted into the SLU med school. MCAT score does not even matter though we have to take it.

Personally, I hate SLU. The quality of living and teaching here is a joke when you look at the near $40,000.00 price tag. I've had my car broken into twice (once on campus) and the people here are just plain dinguses.

I wish that I had chosen a better university for my undergrad. The guaranteed med school acceptance is not worth going through 4 years of hell.

Well most of you guys are saying that I should go into a regular college, do well and then apply to med schools, but i could do that with the NJIT/St. George program. The only difference is that I will finish my undergrad in 3 years and after the second year id start applying to med schools, and even if i dont get into any school, The guaranteed acceptance is still there at SGU.

Well most of you guys are saying that I should go into a regular college, do well and then apply to med schools, but i could do that with the NJIT/St. George program. The only difference is that I will finish my undergrad in 3 years and after the second year id start applying to med schools, and even if i dont get into any school, The guaranteed acceptance is still there at SGU.

ummm SGU is a guaranteed acceptance if you have a pulse

hey guys,

Thanks

Pathetic to go Int'l this early in the game ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the 8 year St. Louis program much better than the 7 year St. George program. Caribbean med school graduates usually have more problems getting into good U. S. residency - you are lucky to get into a tier 4 hospital. U. S. hospitals take residents in this order: U. S. allo., U.S. osteo; and finally foreign graduates. Grenada is a third world country and not as safe as the U. S.

DO NOT GO TO THE CARIBBEAN. It is true what other have said about FMG's, unless you're absolutely forced to, don't go there. What's the rush to get to medical school? Personally, having done the non-trad postbacc route, if you are 100% positive, and I mean no-doubt in your mind positive that you want to be a doctor, do the SLU thing. If you can avoid the anxiety and frustration of the application process, not to mention the cost of applying and the MCAT stress, do teh SLU program. Disregard the disgruntled poster about SLU. Presumabely you've visited the campus? Most people on these boards would kill for a 98% chance at going to medical school. If you have that chance, take it.

If you're worried about taking 4 years to do your bachelors, don't . Take summer classes and do it in 3. Or, work really hard and do it in 2.5.

hey guys,

Thanks

This is ridiculous.

SLU SOM is a solid school with excellent board prep and even better clinical training. It is not currently highly ranked b/c of lack of research $$ but that will change as soon as the new SLU research building opens.

The SGU program (which doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same paragraph as above) is designed to prey upon individuals who are so consumed by the prospect of being admitted to medical school that they will do anything to guarantee an acceptance.

My advice: go to the best undergrad you get into, work your ass off, party your ass off (notice order), have a blast and get into your choice of med schools. If you go to this silly SGU option, you might be tempted to coast into the MCAT due the lack of pressure.

i really hope you're joking about this as a viable alternative at this point.

ummm SGU is a guaranteed acceptance if you have a pulse

Are you sure a pulse is required?

To the OP-Go there on vacation, but not for school. I would imagine most people that live there apply for schools in the U.S.

Have more faith in yourself.

You shouldn't think that the 7 year SGU program has an advantage over the 8 year SLU program because of that 1 year you get off. If you go SGU, when it comes time to apply to residencies, you'll struggle with matching in the specialty of your choice. Most people who go off to Caribbean schools are limited to a few specialties, and in the more undesirable programs.

I'd say, save yourself a lot of stress and go for the SLU program. It's a 98% guarantee into medical school (as you put it), it's a US allopathic school, and from what I've heard, it's fairly reputable. But if you have confidence in yourself and feel like you have Harvard/Yale/Ivy league potential, go to college like everyone else, work your butt off, and see if you can make it to those prestigious schools.

This is exactly why 17 year olds shouldn't be making decisions like this....

you're virtually guaranteed to get into SGU no matter what anyway, so why go to a linkage program

You may not have to score well on the MCAT, but there is one standardized test that you do have to score well on: the credit test.

if your mcat score doesn't even matter to get into SLU (a freakin solid med school)...

im sorry but why are you having reservations? the extra year to get into an american school is worth it. no need to rush :)

good luck :luck:

This is exactly why 17 year olds shouldn't be making decisions like this....

Thank you for finally pointing this out!
Four years in undergrad - you may have a completely different perspective on your life & what you want to do. It may be hard for the OP to believe it, but you're young, and there's a big world out there. Just go to a 4 year undergrad program of your choice, enjoy yourself, and apply like most everybody else. :luck:

To the OP, so are you locked into going to medical school once you enter the programs? If you're not locked in, but can opt out if you change your mind, then by all means take the SLU option.

I like the stigma that you've all placed on international schools, more notably St. G's. As long as your USMLE scores are competitive with American students, you should have no problem matching for residency. I know quite a few people that landed some great residencies and if I'm not mistaken, there was a thread in one of the subforums that had the latest matches for St. G students. I'll try and find it, and you can judge from there.

http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

The only problem you'll have is matching in the already saturated residencies like radiology and derm.

I like the stigma that you've all placed on international schools, more notably St. G's. As long as your USMLE scores are competitive with American students, you should have no problem matching for residency. I know quite a few people that landed some great residencies and if I'm not mistaken, there was a thread in one of the subforums that had the latest matches for St. G students. I'll try and find it, and you can judge from there.

http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

The only problem you'll have is matching in the already saturated residencies like radiology and derm.

Way more than just "saturated residencies like radiology and derm." At this stage in the game, its doubtful that the OP really knows what he wants to do. It would severely limit his options to go to a non-US allo school at this point. Most competitive residencies (rads, rad onc, derm, optho, ortho, ENT, Urology, Neurosurg, plastics) pretty much go to US allo students first, and usually the best ones in the class. Gen surgery and IM are also very competitive at the well-respected academic places. The data shows that for any of the above mentioned programs, the chance of making it in as an FMG/IMG are very slim (notice how I dont say none, because there are always exceptions to the rule), and as such, to really keep his options, the OP should just work hard in college and apply the regular way, or consider only guaranteed programs at US allo schools.