SLU vs. U of Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starter1259

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
pros and cons of each and why you would choose one over the other? thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa is ranked higher research wise and is in a safer city for starters. Exams are administered every friday as opposed to block exams. The community infrastructure at Iowa seems valuable. As you can tell I am so pro-Iowa :) SLU's standardized patient facility was awesome tho. I guess Iowa just sold the school better in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are an Iowa resident you would be crazy to go to SLU. The Catholic schools are notoriously expensive and the difference in "prestige" between the two is probably in Iowa's favor.

Neither school is going to convey a "wow" factor when you go to residency interviews, they are both solid, midwest medical schools with solid match lists. Not a dig against either institution but a fact of life on the interview trail.

It is unlikely that any difference in ciriculum or "feel" would be worth the cost differential -- once again assuming you are an Iowa resident.

If you're instate, go to Iowa..no brainer.

i'm an illinois resident if that changes anyone's opinion

i'm an illinois resident if that changes anyone's opinion

Still, go to the cheaper school. They are both solid, well respected programs that will get you where you need to go.

I've worked with students from both places and been very impressed overall. Small sample but at least it tells you that they aren't putting out idiots.

I agree with the posters above...Iowa is the way to go over SLU. I interviewed at both schools and got the impression that the students at SLU did not like it there (probably due to the cost!). I have two friends who go to Iowa now and love it there.

I am an Illinois resident by the way...

Sorry to get off subject a little bit, but is there anyone here from Iowa City? How is the city doing with all of that flooding? Good luck with everything, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to get off subject a little bit, but is there anyone here from Iowa City? How is the city doing with all of that flooding? Good luck with everything, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Dubuque Street is flooded like crazy... Mayflower Hall has been evacuated. There is a continuous pool of water at least a foot deep from about Kimball Street to near Foster Rd on Dubuque Street. This pool goes from the river to Mayflower... Needless to say City Park is under water...